Key commands import from Cubase 5 to Cubase 6

Hi folks,

Just upgraded my system from C5 to C6. I can’t import my Cubase 5 preferences, key commands, macros, etc, into Cubase 6 because they are .xml files. Cubase 6 seems to accept only .key files… anyone has a clue on how to do that?

I did not updated my Cubase 6.0 to 6.0.5 yet.
I’m on windows 7.

Note that this is not a new issue… Cubase: Music Production Software | Steinberg

Is it something that the update to 6.0.5 would fix? Is it something Steinberg is going to fix in the next update?
I’m using macros everyday…

Thanks.

on Win7:

Put your XML file here:
C:\Documents and Settings[you]\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 6\Presets\KeyCommands
Then open the program, open the KC editor and your file will be in the dropdown

The Key Command file that is used by the program is here:
C:\Documents and Settings[you]\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 6\Key Commands.xml
When you select a file in the drop down menu this Key Commands.xml will be replaced and gone!!!
Back that one up if you think you need it
Save it in the first folder mentioned.

the *.key files are SX3 (?) and eariler Key Command files you could open when Cubase went *.xml.

Hi HowlingUlf !

Thanks for your help.

I could find the .xml files from C5 at this location => C:\Users\user.name\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 5\Presets\KeyCommands

However, even if I copy the .xml files from this folder to this location
=> C:\Users\user.name\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 6_64\Presets
I can not see the new added files in the drop down menu, and also cannot choose the .xml files from the folder icon because when I do so it says “This is not a key commands file!”

From what I recall, the KC file itself (Key Commands.xml in the top level of the prefs folder) is interchangeable between 5 and 6. So just copy your existing C5 KC file into the equivalent C6 prefs folder (first backing up the default from the install by renaming it, of course) and that should do the trick.

I’m surprised Ulf’s suggestion didn’t work, though.

From what I recall, the KC file itself (Key Commands.xml in the top level of the prefs folder) is interchangeable between 5 and 6.

That’s what I thought also.

So just copy your existing C5 KC file into the equivalent C6 prefs folder (first backing up the default from the install by renaming it, of course) and that should do the trick.

The equivalent C5 key commands are actually xml files, but as I said earlier, C6 seems to recognize only .key files.

I attached a screenshot of the error window I get when I try to load xml files into C6.

Also, if it makes any difference… I previously was on Cubase5-32bit, I’m now on Cubase6-64bit

Any clue?
Thanks.

Yes, they are. I have SX3 installed on a XP boot on this computer and every once in a while I drop the key commands.xml from my main DAW boot into XP. What happens is that SX3 ignores all the commands it can’t make sense of and when I exit Cubase the key commands.xml file shrinks in size and all is good! :sunglasses:

*.key files are from SX3 and backwards to even VSTX.x and you can import them that way. C4 an onwards use *.xml for just about everything and the kitchensinks aunt Bob.

Maybe it’s just a typo but you should put your file here:
=> C:\Users\user.name\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 6_64\Presets\Key Commands
Not here:
*=> C:\Users\user.name\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 6_64\Presets*

In the first location you should see Key Command files based on Sonar, Logic, ProTools and some other files.

The active file is this one:
=> C:\Users\user.name\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 6_64\Key Commands.xml
and it gets replaces as soon as you select one of the others in the drop down list!!!
Back KC files up! :astonished:
You can of course also replace
=> C:\Users\user.name\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 6_64\Key Commands.xml
directly with a file with the same name.

Hey guys! Thanks for your kind help :slight_smile:
I just had Steinberg fix the problem by phone. There’s nothing like talking to a human being on the phone :wink:

I just had to trash my Cubase6-64bit preferences and relaunch C6.
The folder you need to trash is located here:
C:\Users\user.name\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 6_64

This operation overwrites the default Cubase 6_64 preferences folder with your previous prefs (in my case C5). All automatically.

Thanks again.