Key Commands!

Yeah… I don’t have a touch screen but I do have a 6 page metagrid macro setup on my ipad for Cubase and it certainly helps. However, whenever I need access to a list of actions in Reaper I just create a new dropdown menu or popup toolbar (with any icons I like), and set it to appear at my mouse cursor with a hotkey or button. My studio ipad is gathering dust.

I love Cubase, I’ve used it for about 15 years and made some genuine hit records with it, but Reaper is now my main DAW.

If Steinberg fixes the inconsistent core loading, constant audio interrupts on routing/adding/removing FX/sends etc, and opens up the key commands a LOT (or creates some kind of scripting/advancement to the logical editor that allows us to create these key commands ourselves) then I will be happy to make a return, there are still many things I love about it… Channel EQ gui’s in the mixer for example, or variaudio, which is hands down the BEST vocal tuning software of any DAW. I use melodyne now via ARA, and it’s great, I know it well, but I still pine for variaudio :smiley: I can tune a vocal SO FAST in variaudio. The way they’ve set up the little handles around the notes is so elegant and fast to use (once you tick the ‘advanced mode’ or whatever it’s called).

A key command to open the automation window of a track. To quickly add Insert/send/etc automation, without having to click around 1000 times each time.

the function allowing to open the window of edition exists. it is necessary to pass generic peripheral. in a new generic device, a new command must be created. it is then necessary to assign a CC or NRPN and a physical button of one of the devices that cubase knows. this is done in the top window.

in the bottom window you have to look for the edition menu. there are two. the first is to open the channel strip edit window. the second to open the plugin of an insert type slot.

on the other hand, what is regrettable is that the generic peripherals are recharged only when a new project is created. but when inserting a vstFX as an insert on a slot if a generic device has been created allowing this vstfx to be controlled, it does not automatically recharge. you have to go back to the studio menu and reload with the import menu the generic peripheral which allows you to control this vstfx. It’s a shame because the generic peripheral tool is fabulous. you can even assign macros to a button !!!