Here are some exercises I’d like to be able to do with the Key Editor for educational purposes:
- Show students the key editor grid, tell them a note value, let them enter it to the grid, check if the right note value appears
- Dictate a rhythm, let students fill in that rhythm on the grid of the key editor, observe what happens to the notation (beaming, ties, rests)
I think it’s a really nice way to explore and experiment with rhythmic notation.
Issues I ran into:
- Notes of the same pitch are visually not separated very well in the key editor (see image at the bottom)
- In pencil mode to enter a longer note value one has to click long and drag for a note to be drawn. That makes it impossible to enter a complex rhythm fast. As a long time Cubase user I’d prefer to stay in cursor mode and just use option click for immediate note entry.
- Can we please get a pinch zoom gesture in the key editor?