Key Editor Noob question

Hello all,

I’m new to Cubase, coming from DP, and I am setting up a template and learning Cubase as fast as possible! So far, I love it! I’ve been scanning these forums and the Operation Manual to answer most of my questions, so forgive me if this is somewhere in the forum, I just couldn’t find it.

So, the Key Editor.

1. Is there a way to choose a track that you want to work on via the Key Editor. As in, say i’m working on a Piano track in the Key Editor, then I want to switch to a bass Midi track. Is there a way that I can ‘swap’ out the window while still in the Key Editor? Or do I really have to close it, find the Bass midi track, and open it from there?

2. Is there a way to view multiple midi tracks in one Key Editor? I did this a lot in DP to compare midi tracks and line things up, figure out chords, etc.

3. I just found the “In-Place” Editor, and that seems like a better solution in terms of quickly editing midi. Is there anything that the Key Editor has that the In-place Editor can’t do? Is it just a viewing preference?

Thank you all! Sorry if these are dumb questions, but It would really help wrap my head around Cubase workflow ideas.

~MH

You dont have to close the editor, but you do have to select a different track in the Project Window. (this assumes Link Editors is checked in Preferences>Editing, which is the default)

Simply select all the parts you want to edit and hit the command to open the editor. Also note the Currently Edited Part menu and the Edit Active Part button next to it.

The in-place editor is very handy, but it doesn’t have all the functions the Key Editor has, notably there’s no In-Place editor Inspector.

Dont’ worry about it. DP has a very different gestalt, if you will, than Cubase, very little from one is applicable in the other.

Welcome, and have fun learning Cubase.

Awesome! Thank you so much!

It’s all starting to make sense!

~MH

:wink: