Key Editor: Possible to copy a selection pattern of notes?

Hi guys,

Finally moved over from the old forum…

Often when working with different notes going to different MIDI channels / articulations (and not using VST Expression), I find myself selecting individual notes in a MIDI event in the key editor, holding down Shift. Once I have all the desired notes selected, I send them to a different MIDI channel, copy them to a different MIDI track or mute/unmute them. The selection pattern could be something like:

3 selected notes - 4 unselected notes - 1 selected note - 1 unselected note - 6 selected notes - ETC.

Very often the pattern of selecting notes for this will apply to many different MIDI events. E.g. all instruments playing certain notes staccato, etc. However, making irregular selections like this in all those MIDI events is very time consuming.

Is there any way to ‘capture’ a selection pattern of notes and apply it to another group of notes?

Thanks!

Roy

There is no way to capture selections that I know of, but have you explored a combination of logical editor and macro keyboard shortcuts?

Definitely have a look at the Logical Editor.

Here is a suggestion to pattern select notes in form of an animated gif. I show the basic principles of the idea but the method can be extended to your particular needs. I made a logical editor preset “Set note to channel 16” and another one “select notes channel 16” and assigned them to two key commands. I am navigating the selection with the commands “Navigate–>right” and “Navigate–>left”. The navigate commands are pre assigned to the cursor button left and right. In the gif I am also using a macro that selects all notes with channel 16, sets them back to channel 1 and selects them.
NoteGroupsWithChannels_SetChannelTo16_SelectAllChannel16andTurnBackToChannel1.gif
To follow a pattern like quote “3 selected notes - 4 unselected notes - 1 selected note - 1 unselected note - 6 selected notes” i would go about like this. (Let’s say my “Set note to channel 16” is assigned to ü and “select notes channel 16” is assigned to ä)
3 selected notes
Right --> ü --> Right --> ü Right --> ü -->

4 unselected notes
Right --> Right–> Right–> Right–>

1 selected note
Right–> ü

1 unselected note
Right–>

6 selected notes
Right --> ü --> Right --> ü Right --> ü --> Right --> ü --> Right --> ü Right --> ü -->

Select the marked notes
ä
This seems very much to press but depending on the material and your speed this goes faster then mouse selection. It can go ratttatattttatatatatttat and your done with your selection.

Note that it does not really matter which channel a note has in the key editor if you do not have the output of the midi track set to “any”. You can set a note to be a channel 16 note but send it out as channel 1 note if you select “1” for the channel select in the inspector.
If you are using a multitimbral instrument you do not have to copy the different notes to different tracks but can edit all of the instrument notes in the keyeditor and change the channels in the infoline if you set the output to any in the inspector.

Here is another method to select note patterns:
PatternSelect_Inside_BarRange.gif
There are many more ways to select note patterns.

Gr,
JHP

Thanks guys.

Great stuff, JHP!

I made the logical editor presets “Set note to channel 16” and “select notes channel 16”. Works great. And indeed using this in combination with the arrow keys isn’t bad.

I often set MIDI tracks to ‘any’ and then send the notes to different channels. However, sometimes I’ll want different MIDI tracks for different articulations and then mute certain notes in those tracks.

So I experimented with creating a macro to mute certain notes in the key editor. And it works.

I select the first note, then run the macro:

Edit - Mute Events
Navigate - Right
Navigate - Right
Edit - Mute Events
Navigate - Right
Navigate - Right
Edit - Mute Events
Navigate - Right
Navigate - Right
Edit - Mute Events
Navigate - Right
Navigate - Right

ETC.

However, I also tried to make a selection of notes using a macro, using the Edit - Select Event command and the Navigate - Right command. However, that doesn’t seem to work. Is there any command for a macro that allows you to select a note and then keep it selected while you navigate to different ones? (except for Navigate - Add Right, which only does adjacent selection)?

BTW, wouldn’t it be great if you could capture key commands into a macro :slight_smile:.

Well no, there is no “add to selection” command.
I am not sure what you mean with “wouldn’t it be great if you could capture key commands into a macro”.

Gr,
JHP

Just checking. Thanks, JHP.

Just meant that in this case, where I’m scrolling through the list of commands to get:

Edit - Mute Events
Navigate - Right
Navigate - Right
Edit - Mute Events
Navigate - Right
Navigate - Right
Edit - Mute Events
Navigate - Right
Navigate - Right
Edit - Mute Events
Navigate - Right
Navigate - Right

I would just press Ctrl+m, →, →, Ctrl+m, →, →, Ctrl+m, →, →, Ctrl+m, →, →, Ctrl+m, →, →, etc.

So basically, being able to select commands for a macro by pressing their key command.

Anyway, just thinking out loud :slight_smile:.

I would just press Ctrl+m, →, →, Ctrl+m, →, →, Ctrl+m, →, →, Ctrl+m, →, →, Ctrl+m, →, →, etc.

So basically, being able to select commands for a macro by pressing their key command.

Anyway, just thinking out loud .

I would guess you would need another modifier key and an extra free finger. Maybe two hands?
Maybe it could be set up. I can’t think how offhand. I may have a look later. JHP will probably beat me to it.

Nice one JHP. Three threads and the forum mood seems to have changed for the better.

No can’t scroll to the command in the command list by pressing it’s key. You need to use the magnifying glass search field indeed.

Thanks for the positive feedback to you all.
Gr,
JHP