Key Editor question

Hi team,

I’ve come across an annoying little problem. I use two computer monitors. The Project window is open in the first one and the Key Editor in the second. Here’s the problem:

1- I double-click Track 1 in the Project window. The Key Editor opens on Monitor 2. Fine.
2- I hear something odd at bar 175 (for example). While still in the Key Editor window, I edit bar 175. Fine.
3- I want to check Track 2 at bar 175. I click Track 2 in the Project window, and look at the Key Editor window and Track 2 has reverted back to bar 1!!! This is a very annoying problem, especially when you want to look at 15 tracks at bar 175. I know you can squish the Key Editor so that bar 175 appears, but with that many bars, you can’t edit anything due to low note resolution.

How do I force the Key Editor window to stay at a certain bar while different tracks are selected in the Project window? It doesn’t seem to matter where my cursor is located in the Project window. This is very annoying and adds a lot of time when trying to discover which notes are causing issues at a certain place in a song! Many thanks.

• Lee

Yes, this is frustrating, isn’t it :slight_smile:
The closest I have been able to find (maybe there is better?), is to create a simple macro that closes the Key Editor window then re-opens it. But unfortunately, in your case, it will re-open on screen #1, not screen #2 (but at least the Play Cursor will be visible :wink: )

Thanks for chiming in, Vic.

I have a partial solution. After you select Track 2, you can click in the Timing bar (or whatever they call it–the bar where the beats reside) in the Project window, and this action resets the cursor in the Key Editor window to the approximate bar number in Track 2. Still, it’s a royal pain.

Perhaps Steinberg could send through a patch to fix this most annoying issue. The program is SO slick in most areas. To have such a simple glitch that lengthens editing time is unworthy of Steinberg’s engineering team. In fact, it’s an embarrassment. I’d expect this from Microsoft, not Steinberg!

• Lee

+1 V.annoying

One workaround - click within key editor to refocus it, then toggle f twice to turn on/off (off/on?) ‘auto-scroll’. This has worked for me in the past.

Yes, that seems to work :slight_smile: Thanks :slight_smile:

Yes, that works JamesD. Many thanks for the tip!!

Now, would someone way higher up the ladder please SCREAM at Steinberg to fix this minor bug which soooooooo many people hate!! Much obliged. (Gee, I feel much better now :slight_smile:).

• Lee

Would use of the Arranger Track solve this?

If, for example, you set an Arranger Track Segment to the range of measures you want to edit and told Cubase to play it 20 times or so, won’t the cursor remain at least within that play range regardless of moving from Track to Track? I’m still only five months into learning Cubase (Sonar user before), so perhaps this isn’t correct. I use single 27" monitor, too, so perhaps this is a two monitor problem.

I’m also wondering if the same ‘Range Locking’ would work with use of a Cycle Marker?

I programmed two buttons on my keyboard controller to move the cursor to the left and right locators. Perhaps something like that is available in your set-up?

The Key Editor should let you move easily from Track to Track within the same measure or loop region. It’s a part of the program I’m trying to get some greater facility with.

Anyway, if none of this is correct or helpful, good luck regardless.

Hi Stephen,

I’ll give that a try. Many thanks for chiming in.

Meanwhile, Steinberg REALLY needs to address this. I can’t see how it would be a major re-write to code. If I’m not mistaken, I believe the first Cubase version I bought 12 years ago (or so) let you toggle through all tracks while keeping you in the same spot in the Key Editor!!! Come on Steinberg developers, you’re supposed to add convenience to the newer versions, not create traffic jams!

Lee,

The very first sequencer I used (giving away my age here, a bit) was Voyetra Sequencer+ That program had some so-called “Transforms” built-in that manipulated MIDI in ways I still miss and have never seen duplicated in any other programs I’ve used – Voyetra Seq+, Cakewalk, Sonar or Cubase. That said, I’m sure Cubase does a lot more than I’m yet able to make it do, but the Key Editor is, I think, one area that needs serious improvements. Not displaying flats is perhaps my biggest issue, but the project navigation aspects within Key Editor, as your post points out, could stand to be improved – even if that means bringing back those great, lost features or functionality.

Take care, hope things work out and let us know how it’s going.

Hey again Stephen.

I too used Sequencer Plus !!! It was on an old 486, DOS computer. I still have it, and it works!! I’m 62 years old, so I’m kind of an old guy too. This newer Cubase DAW is eons ahead of Sequencer Plus, however, you’re right–Sequencer Plus had some nice features not seen in any modern DAW.

As I approach my dotage years, I lament these young code writing bucks who are supposed to be very smart (to be fair, they are), but they also think they know what everyone wants and needs–well they don’t!! Reason: they don’t listen, nor do they care. I call it the “Microsoft stigma.” They don’t listen either. These companies think they’re bullet proof. Those days are gone. For proof, I give you Detroit after GM packed it in. Who saw that coming?! The big guys can fall. Strangely enough, the companies who do listen are usually the ones who produce freeware or open source programs.

But I digress. Keep playing!

• Lee

You’ve got a few years on me, but not many. :slight_smile: Seq+ was a great program for its time. I think it’s great you still have a working version of it.

I’ve been into Cubase Pro 8 for just going on five months and I’ve put a lot of time into reading the manual, watching “how to” videos on youtube and reading threads here. I’m enjoying the learning process. I find some of the forum posts very helpful and I’ve tried to answer questions where I can. See you around the threads.