Key Signatures in Hub

I know that I can easily change the key with a popover once I create the document, but I am genuinely curious what logic is behind the choice of keys when creating a document from a template in the hub. For major keys, there is no Gb, but there is an F#. However, in the minor key dropdown, there is Eb minor (relative minor of Gb major), but not D# (relative minor of F# major). So it can’t be as simple as avoiding a certain number of sharps or flats.

I was working on a piece in Gb major the other day, and while again, I was able to easily change the key signature once the document was created, I was really baffled that I couldn’t set Gb major from the hub creation script.

Any thoughts on why only certain keys are available in those dropdowns?

Maybe I am wrong, but I think it is because the developers didn’t want to overload this menu. They give the options of the basic 12 chromatic possibilities, and show the enharmonic alternatives after the principle of “the most probable one”, adapting this choice for the major and minor keys: Db (if you choose major) becomes C# (if you choose minor) for example.
To have also the other enharmonic alternatives would probably clutter this easy menu too much, and as you said, is easy enough to change this with the popover after.
You have also the alternative to uncheck the Key Signature in the Hub, and just add it later (with the popover or with the right panel).

I am curious witch list of keys (for major and minor) would you like to see on the little menu of Hub?

I would guess the Major section looks somewhat based on the harmonic series of C Major.
However, I will take 12 possibilities, that being the total amount of notes in one octave, than a blasphemous confusing list.

1 Like

No need to use hyperbole, folks. I wasn’t asking for every possible standard AND non-standard key signature that’s ever been used. I merely asked what the logic was behind the choices they offer.

Quite specifically, it’s really just the choice of F# major over Gb major that I found curious. Don’t want to include 7 sharps or flats as an option? That’s cool. But 6 of one, 5 of the other just seemed a bit odd. (I’d prefer six of one, half dozen of the other! LOL)

You can’t tell me Gb major is that rare or non-standard of a key signature in contrast to F# major. Depending on what instrument(s) you’re writing for, or what types of modulation-type behavior your piece employs, Gb might definitely be the better choice.

I get the notion that a menu shouldn’t be “overloaded”. Hell, even Finale’s context menu limits keys to only up to 4 flats or sharps. But as far as “overloading this menu” under discussion here, again, logic doesn’t require 12 vs 15. The first dropdown for key signature has 16 options. So even if they wanted to include all the standard key signatures up to 7 sharps or flats (including the enharmonics), you’re still only going to have 15 options (Gb, Cb, and C# being the only ones missing from the major key dropdown, for example) There’s no “overloading” in that. And it certainly would not be a “blasphemous confusing list”.

I’m trying to make sense of this sentence and failing miserably. Would you mind to explain a bit more what you’re saying? If you mean the harmonic series of C (you said “C major” which is part of what is confusing me), then yes, it’s normally notated as an F# and not Gb, but there’s no Db or Eb in the harmonic series. So I’m not following your line of thinking here.

There’s no great mystery here: I think it’s just an oversight. We show a different list of root notes depending on whether you are creating a major or a minor key signature, and the major list includes F# instead of Gb. I don’t think there’s a particularly great reason for this, and I will change this to Gb for future versions. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

1 Like

Db and Eb could be heard on the higher end partials, beyond the 16th.

Well, yeah, just about any note exists beyond the 16th. Not seeing the relevance at all to this topic, though. Especially since it’s showing in your graphic as C#, not Db. shrug