Keyboard Maestro Create Interval

Hi, does anybody could help you to understand how to create in interval in Keyboard Maestro? I am trying to record a following sequence: select (or note input) // shortcut Shift + I // press 3 // enter, but it doesn’t work. After many years of Dorico use I still miss a simple way to enter intervals just by typing for example Alt+3 or just 3. It would be great, if a new note could be selected after that, so it would be possible to continue with other intervals. Thank you in advance.

2 Likes

To amplify @mipi 's post, a set of sequences that could also specify the qualities of intervals would be fantastic. (So I suppose: select (or note input) // shortcut Shift + I // press [#] // option-shift-[up/down] arrow // enter (on Mac OS))

1 Like

Hi @mipi here below (as attachment) a simple Keyboard Maestro macro that inserts a third above an already selected note, and then, after 0.5 second, moves the selection to the next note on the right. The triggering shortcut is control+3

You can unzip it, and from KM File/Import> menu choose Import Macros safely…, and when the macro is in KB, Enable it with right click on it.

You need to select something before you trigger it, otherwise how should Dorico know what to select? You can also select a bunch of notes, also not adjacent, and then trigger the macro.

You can then easily duplicate the macro and set all the other intervals changing the trigger and the needed keystrokes of the macro.
You can of course personalise every keystroke inserting the desired popover commands for the Note Tools popover .
But maybe at the end, if you need many different intervals, major, minor, augmented, below, above, etc… just using the Note Tools popover is faster (?) :wink: :

dorico add third above.kmmacros.zip (1.3 KB)

Also remember that, you can record a macro (start the recording after selecting the initial note!) directly in Dorico (no need for KM) using the Script menu, and assign a shortcut using the functionality of macOS Keyboard Shortcuts and pointing to the exact name (Menu title) of your script.

System Settings/Keyboard/Keyboard shortcuts/App shortcuts → click on + , select Dorico, write the exact name of your recorded and saved script (as it appears in the Script menu), choose a shortcut. The script can be so triggered by the chosen shortcut.

Here an example in realtime of the functionality of the KB macro selecting a note and just pressing control+3 (that works exactly as the Dorico script recorded macro if you choose to use it):
CleanShot 2024-06-27 at 23.59.07

1 Like

What is your objection to simply using normal note entry and chord mode (Q) if you want to change intervals relative to the base note?

I’ve made it a little easier for myself by reassigning the key command I (that toggles Insert mode by default, which I almost never use) to open the interval popover (which is normally Shift-I).

So it’s just I > 3 > Enter, for example.

1 Like

Just WOW! Thank you so much!

Interesting solution Thank you

The speed of my work. The way I would love to work in Dorico is by creating an interval not from a base note, but from the note that is selected. Since a newly created interval is selected automatically, to write, for example, a C major chord, all you need to do is to press for example Shift334 (or Alt334). It takes just 1 second.

Dear Christian,

I tried Dorico native solution:
Select note / Start recording macro / Shift + I / 2 / Enter / Stop recording macro
If I trigger this macro while a note is selected, it works perfectly. However, could you please tell me how I need to record this macro so that the popover disappears immediately afterward?

1 Like

mhhh----indeed, the popover stays, when using the Dorico script. I tried pressing escape in the macro recording process, but it seems that the escape key will not been recorded… So for your particular workflow wish, using Keyboard Maestro works better.

for this (vertical stacking), in KM macro you can just disable the last two actions of the macro I sent above, so the selection doesn’t jump to the right. (and then use the right arrow to move to the next position)

Your workflow is an interesting variation for inputting (diatonic) chords if you don’t want to use a midi keyboard, (that would be the fastest way!), or as suggested, use the Chord input (Q) or use the stacking intervals in Note Tools popover (Shift+I3,5,8 into the popover to create the upper three notes of a 4 notes chord) :slight_smile:
I had some fun entering chords with your variation (and Keyboard Maestro):
CleanShot 2024-06-28 at 12.09.24

I think it is really a fastest way to work. And…if you need to change some accidentals, it is still faster as to count each interval from the base line…Thank you for your ideas😊 I will try to manipulate this KM macro in order it stays on the same note. And I will try to understand how it is done, because I didn’t succeed recording it in KM…

I am very happy with a result using KM. Finally I am able to write intervals very quickly. If somebody likes to work this way, here are all 14 macros ziped. Intervals: 2-8 up and 2-8 down using Alt + Number or Alt+Shift + Number. Such a great community. Thank you for your help and thank you John Barron for the inspiration and great tutorial.
Dorico Macros.kmmacros.zip (2.5 KB)

3 Likes

I find it much easier to just assign the interval popover to Q. I never use Chord Mode anyways.

So Q3 Enter gives me a third above. And the Q is up by the numbers already. Super fast.

2 Likes

I too have been using KM to solve this issue. It’s helpful for various other reasons beyond building chords, for intervallic tasks, transpositions, and super quick doublings.

For me I have used shift + numpad for all addition tasks, control going up since it has a ^ which points upward, and option for down because that symbol is close enough for appearing to point downward.

And then without shift is merely transposition, using same direction keys respectively.

Glad you found a combination that works for you - it’s something I miss from other notation apps and personally such a common task that I would prefer to not have additional steps in between every time.

1 Like