Keyboard maestro

Does anyone use keyboard maestro? Would you recommend it? I’m wondering in particular if there’s a way I could use it to make a single keyboard shortcut for editing the midi pitch data in Play Mode to make Dorico play back a continuous gliss. (Because it’s currently extremely time-consuming to make glisses play back continuously.)

I use KBM, although I admit I have hardly scratched the surface of what it can do. As long as what you want to do could be accomplished via a series of key commands, KBM could do it.

ok thanks! hmm I’m not sure editing the midi pitch data can be done with a series of key commands…does anyone know? I normally do it by clicking. The other thing I would most like to use it for is turning opacity to 0%, but I also don’t know how to do that without using the mouse…

I think you might use the macro directly in Dorico to make opacity zero — in case you need help with macros disappearing from the menu, let me know and I’ll try to explain how you make them permanent

1 Like

Thanks @MarcLarcher. Yes the macros do disappear from the menu for me. I would love to know how to make them permanent.

I should have added earlier, KBM can control the mouse by doing “move to [coordinates]” and then clicking. The problem I’ve always run into, with both KBM and AHK on windows, is that if the program [you are macroing] updates and menu items shift, or even if your whole window shifts by even a few pixels, suddenly your macro is broken, so it’s not the most stable way to go about it. When it works, it is genuinely magical and it’s quite fun to watch a ghost wiz the mouse around the screen, but it also has it’s practical limits.

1 Like

oh ok that’s good to know! What kinds of stuff do you use KBM for in Dorico?

I do not have any macros set up for Dorico specifically. I use it for other things on my computer.

If you’ve been messing with the keyboard shortcuts, you know where the.json file is. If you have not, and you have a mac, it’s in your user library / Application support / Steinberg / Dorico 3.5 (by memory)
There’s a Script folder there, where you can find Userscript (the last script you’ve created). Change that name (to opacity for instance) and it will remain!
Hope it helps!

Thank you @MarcLarcher . Unfortunately, I can’t find it there. The only folder I have under my user library/Application support/Steinberg is Dowload Assistant

I think you are looking in the wrong Library.
From Finder alt/option-click the Go menu and select Library.

Jesper

(edit: or do what Leo said.:wink:

From a Finder window, go to the Go menu > Go to Folder and paste ~/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico 3.5/

The tilde is crucial - it tells Finder you want the current user library, not the system library.

(edit: or do what Jesper said.)

Amazing! It worked! Thank you everyone!

1 Like

I use Keyboard Maestro, triggered from Metagrid, to

1. trigger keystrokes
  2. access parts of Dorico that aren’t covered by keystrokes
  3. run macros for tasks where multiple actions are involved
1 Like

I done this a lot with KM and tbh I’m rather dreading 4.0 as what you’re describing is inevitable. However, I’m currently taking a fresh look at all the macros and making a note of those where mouse actions are involved to make checking easier.

1 Like

Keyboard Maestro is great program. In Dorico I use is for such things as adding dynamics. Instead of bringing up the popover, entering what you want, hitting return, I set up KB to do it in one keystroke. i.e. I have my number keys 1-6, along the top of the keyboard, with a modifier, set to enter pp-ff.

1 Like

update: I still have not done anything with Keyboard Maestro, but I’ve really been enjoying making macros in Dorico. Thank you everyone who helped me figure out how to do it! I made one for opacity>0%, another one for hiding notes, stems, and ledger lines all in one go, different ones for making various types of harmonics more quickly, and several more that I use all the time now.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to figure out a faster way to do harmonics specifically actually! I haven’t figured out how to run or create usable macros yet and was thinking maybe KM was the way to do it. Could you share a bit how you made your harmonic macros? Thank you.