Keyboard ornament William Byrd

Hello, I am trying to reproduce this standard ornament (which probably stands for a mordent or short trill, a Praller):

So I would need to find these double lines, which I can probably then insert via Shift-X

I can see this symbol in Sibelius (as praller), but where would I find it on Please wait while you are redirected ?
Ornaments Byrd.jpg

… for the moment I go the easy way and just use the tremolos…

Ornaments Byrd workaround tremolo.png

Amazingly enough (sorry, but where else would it be?) it’s in the “tremolos” section! https://w3c.github.io/smufl/gitbook/tables/tremolos.html

Well, Rob, I think k_b was expecting something else, like thin lines (I admit I nerver crossed a praller in my career so far, so I have no idea about its looks, except for the little example posted here…) :wink:

There were so many different signs used for ornaments in early music that this one seems to have escaped Daniel’s notice.

I suspect “Praller” is an abbreviation coined by a non-German speaker (but not necessarily by k_b!) These are not the “Pralltriller” ornament which is not included in J S Bach’s well known “table of ornaments” but is discussed at some length by C P E Bach, and which is (approximately!) an appoggiatura followed by a short trill.

In early English keyboard music it is generally considered to mean either a short or a long trill.

Single slanting lines also occur, but more rarely, and probably represent a “slide” of two rising notes before the main note.

The Bravura font doesn’t have a really good symbol for these IMO. You could also try a “grace note slash stem” https://w3c.github.io/smufl/gitbook/tables/common-ornaments.html or one of the “short oblique lines” from https://w3c.github.io/smufl/gitbook/tables/other-baroque-ornaments.html but none of them really work well.

These are also found in Purcell, but above the note, rather than through its stem.

I’m attaching here a screenshot showing the ornament itself, as well as a copy of a page explaining Purcell’s ornaments and how they are to be realized.

It would be fantastic if these ornaments were included in a future update! Perhaps there could be a new section of “Historical Ornaments” separate from the regular ornaments.

Some of those ornaments are a lot more complicated to add than others, as I expect you’re aware, Julian. Drawing oblique lines between the two noteheads of a dyad, for example, is certainly not something that can be added easily, and it would need to fight its way to the top of the priority list to stand a chance of being implemented – I’m afraid I don’t think that will happen in the near future.

being able to find them on the SMUFL page would be the first step (towards happiness :wink:.

I’ve added historical ornaments to scores by taking the score over to InDesign for final touch-up. It’s a clumsy process, but does produce good results. I can’t remember for sure, but I vaguely remember a custom ligature plug-in for InDesign that would allow you formulate some of these as ligatures or overprints if it’s something you need to do a lot.

All of you are clearly right — I understand why this would be a low priority, and it would be a helpful stopgap, at some point, to add them to SMUFL so we can copy and paste them in before they’re added to Dorico.