Keyboard plays in older C 8.5, C9.5 but not Cubase v10x

Hi all,

I recently attempted to use my Yamaha PSR975 Workstation as my MIDI controller for the 1st time (since upgrading to Cubase 10 Pro) and discovered a problem. My Halion Sonic SE is not responding to my keyboard…NO SOUND (and no keystrokes indicated)!

The obvious causes (cables, KB settings, etc) don’t seem to exist as this same KB works perfectly when I bring up my Cubase Pro 9.5 or 8.5! To add more confusion to the problem, my M-audio Keyboard controller works fine in all 3 versions, 8.5, 9.5, & 10! That tells me my Cubase 10’s MIDI is working. But why not my workstation KB? Anyone have any ideas I might check? I’m at my wit’s end. :open_mouth:

Hi,

Can you see the incoming MIDI message on the Transport Panel meter, please?

Can you double-check the settings in the Studio > Studio Setup > MIDI Port Setup, please?

Can you double-check Preferences > MIDI > MIDI Filter, please? Make sure the data is not filtered out.

Hi Martin, thanks for responding…

1. No incoming MIDI message on the Transport Panel meter.

2. MIDI Port Setup shows my PSR975 Out as “Active” but shows my M-Audio 88 as “Inactive” (M-Audio 88 works as desired.)
    2.1. I unchecked the X, which indicates a disconnect from the currently used Port. I save the change but it still did not work.
    2.2. I checked the “X” back on the MIDI Port Out, it shows “Inactive” and saved this setting. No change. Problem remains.

3. MIDI-MIDI FILTER shows only the SysEx is checked and Controller CC0 in the menu with added CC123 (All note Off) as the single “add”. I tried removing this, problem did not change.

Because my M-Audio 88-key Piano/MIDI Ctlr does work fine in Windows 10, and my PSR975 61-Key MIDI Ctlr/WkStation does not, I believe it’s a signal issue but, what’s different in MIDI Signals from versions 8.5-9.5 whereas both keyboards work fine; but in Cubase 10, the PSR975 must have a signal change?

On the left in the inspector check if ‘All MIDI inputs’ are selected above the VST instrument name (Halion etc)*, if it is then ensure that your PSR is setup to be in that ‘all’ group in Studio Setup / Midi Port Setup screen.

*You can also select the PSR manually in the list above the VST instrument name.

Also, it’s the MIDI “IN”'s that control instruments in Cubase, OUT ports are used for sending the MIDI of that track to external gear (i.e. if you wanted to hear the sounds played back on your PSR).

Hi skijumptoes, thanks for responding…

1. I’ve tried using both the ALL MIDI inputs and the single PSR Input, but neither works.

2. I double checked the PSR has the ALL GROUP selected in the Studio Setup / MIDI Port INPUTs.

Things remained the same. NOTE… If I had this problem in the older Cubase, I would be looking to my PSR settings or cabling. If neither Keyboard worked in Cubase 10, I would be looking for a dedicated Cubase 10 MIDI flaw or setting. But, both Keyboards MIDI Control in the older Cubase (meaning the Keyboards work) and the M-Audio works in the Cubase 10 (means the Cubase 10 settings are working for MIDI) …my logical thinking can’t resolve why not my PSR in Cubase 10? :frowning:

Hi,

Hasn’t the MIDI Port used as MIDI Input of any remote device in the Studio Setup?

Is Cubase 10 on the same machine and windows install as the older Cubase then? That’s really bizarre if so.

Just make sure that it’s not connected to another app that’s running, or as Martin says above setup as a remote device. But then, i don’t think you’d see it in the MIDI selection on the inspector if it was(? not sure on that).

OK my friends, I must update my stated problem as I previously described it is inaccurate. The PSR-S970 (61 Key workstation) only works in Cubase 8.5 & 9.5 if I’m choosing the “All MIDI INPUTS” in the INSPECTOR. If I choose, the individual PSR-S970 by it’s listed MIDI PORT SETUP name, as it was configured in STUDIO SETUP\MIDI PORT SETUP, the PSR-S970 fails in all 3 versions of Cubase. That is, the “ALL MIDI INPUTS” selection works in Cubase 8.5-9.5. But in 10 neither INPUT CHOICE works.

Martin, if my update did not answer you question please reword it to me. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Yes, my Windows 7-64 Bit PC has versions 8.5, 9.5 & 10 installed on this same PC and partitions. Please read my reply to Martin about my update of the problem.

Just make sure that it’s not connected to another app that’s running, or as Martin says above setup as a remote device. But then, i don’t think you’d see it in the MIDI selection on the inspector if it was(? not sure on that).

I’m not clear on “connected to another app”. I’m not sure where to look. I have been reading the PSR S975 manuals and the MIDI Controller abilities seem simple. The manuals only warn to turn-off “LOCAL CONTROL” on the PSR S975. I believe I have done so. Otherwise, Cubase should not have responded when I chose the ALL MIDI INPUT.

I’m also not clear on checking for a “Remote Device” setup as I have never setup a remote device. I did check the “MIDI DEVICE MANAGER” if that’s where a Remote Device would be setup then, my PSR-S975 is not setup there. If you mean something else, please advise. Thanks!

Hi,

I’m sorry, you’re update didn’t answer my question. I was asking about Remote Devices. Open Studio > Studio Setup. On the left side, go through all devices in the Remote Device folder. Double-check, there is not PSR selected as an MIDI Input of any single Remote Device, please. You can also attach a screenshots.

That means that the port you think it’s coming in, it isn’t. Go through the different selections within the inspector on Cubase 8/9 and see which port it DOES respond on (Other than ‘All MIDI inputs’) and you will find out what port it is being received on - and whether that is shown or is enabled in C10.

I.e. is it possible that you have a driver installed for the PSR so that it’s USB Port is showing in the list, but you are physically connected via MIDI cabled connection to a secondary device/audio interface - That’s a possible scenario here which would cause this issue.

Hi,

Isn’t the driver 32-bit only, by any chance?

They say it works in Cubase 9 though?

If that is the issue then it’s an easy fix as all the Yamaha keys i’ve owned use the same USB MIDI Driver - and that’s been available in 64 bit flavour for a long time now.

Hi,

Oh, sorry, I forgot Cubase 9 was 64-bit only already.

No Remote Devices … I appreciate the time you guys are spending on helping me straighten this out. I attached a screenshot of the Studio Remote Devices Tree and the MIDI Setup.

I will go thru all 16 ports in Cubase 9.5, while using the specified PSR970 (NOT the All MIDI) and let you know the results.

I.e. is it possible that you have a driver installed for the PSR so that it’s USB Port is showing in the list, but you are physically connected via MIDI cabled connection to a secondary device/audio interface - That’s a possible scenario here which would cause this issue.

That seems a logical possibility…i.e. The default PSR970 MIDI connector is USB-to-MIDI. MIDI-to-MIDI is an alternate connections. I have not found any reference in the Yamaha manuals requiring any selection or On/Off choices to make when using the MIDI-TO-MIDI. That suggest the connection is automatically programmed to work. Also, the yamaha had no driver installation for me to use. It was Plug & Play.

Fyi. I am attaching scrrenshots of my Cubase 10 Studio/Remote Device Tree and MIDI Setup for your view.

Cubase 8.5, 9.5 and 10 are all 64 Bit. Yamaha PSR S970 has no driver.

OK about those ports. In the Inspector I chose 1 through 16 and played keys on each at a time. I’m using Halion SE and loaded Instruments on each of the 16 channels. In the inspector, I also, tested “Any” port and got no sound. I tested each Inspector port with a corresponding Halion Channel from Any -16 and no sound. But the All MIDI works!

One additional observation I missed before, the “MIDI OUT” window on the transport showed outgoing signals using the separate PSR 970 Choice although there was no sound and no activity in Halion.

My friends, I found the problem. It was physical and not a Cubase issue. I am disable and my in-laws assist making my cable connections and marking them. The marked the PSR970 MIDI as connector 3 and it was connector 4 on my Mackie Control Surface!

That’s why “ALL MIDI” Ports worked but the single input choice did not. At least in Cubase 8.5 & 9.5. I don’t know why not in Cubase 10…more precise MIDI Setup to input signals maybe, but it took me about 3 minutes to change the setup in Studio/MIDI Setup and the Cubase 10 is working like a charm!

I really, really thank you guys for helping me search out the issue. I regret it’s nothing more exotic. :blush:

Hi,

This was, what I said by the Remote Devices… I saw on your pictures the Mackie Control device and that was my first tip…

OK, I’m glad it works for you, know.