Keyboard shortcuts - change from toggle to absolute?

Hi folks,

Many buttons in Cubase can be assigned a shortcut.

But the problem is normally this shortcut toggles the control.

So take autoscroll for example. If autoscroll is on, hitting your shortcut will turn it off.

And if it’s off, your shortcut will turn it on.

But this is less than ideal.

This is how my mind works: sometimes i think “ah-ha, now i want autoscroll on”. I don’t care if it’s presently on or off, i just want it on!

So it would be great to be able to assign shortcuts to for example “autoscroll on”, regardless of it’s present state.

Because as it is (toggle) you need to look at the button on the screen to actually know what the state is, whereas what i like about shortcuts is the fact that you don’t (in theory) need to look at the screen or touch your mouse to achieve a certain action.

So to cut a long story short, anyone know if it’s possible to assign shortcuts in the manner outlined above?!

Thanks! …J

1 Like

Hi,

No, this is not possible. It’s always the toggle.

If that is the case I would certainly like to know how to close the history window. :laughing: (plus a few other ones)
(standard disclaimer: windows command such as ctr+W is far from ideal.)

Ok, that’s a shame!

I wonder if i’m the first person to ever ask for this?

No, you are not the first.

Hmm but if all key commands were to be only On or Off, then we would need double the amount of shortcuts than a toggle gives us. I do like the idea for some commands, it can get a little stressful when recording a live band and you have to have an eye on a lot of stuff at the same time.

1 Like

Actually 3 times more:

• On
  • Off
  • Toggle :wink:
1 Like

Then again if they where implemented in the project logical editor, we could make our own, for the commands we individually find useful.

+1

+1

Toggle works some of the time but is often useless in a macro situation where you can’t tell what the current situation is.

1 Like

Not a problem if you have one of these! http://xkeys.com/xkeys/xk128.php :wink:

+1 for this please too.

Mike.

Or this: Autohotkey. There. Just saved you $500. :stuck_out_tongue:

For Mac users, I would recommend Keyboard Maestro. :wink:

Bam! Just saved him $466! :wink: :laughing:

It’s for 3 Cubase updates. :wink:

1 Like

Good sales technique! :stuck_out_tongue:

Cubase desperately needs this. It would make working so much easier and quicker.

Rather than second-guessing whether you’ve toggled a command on or off, or by doing it to see if it’s in the desired state or not and then using the toggle again if it’s not, it would be far better if you could assign commands to ON and to OFF separately.

Exactly, sometimes you know that you need a button to be in a certain position. You don’t care what the current position is, you just want to hit a hotkey to be sure it’s in the position you want. You don’t want to need to first look at the button before deciding to press, or first pressing, then looking, realizing you put it in the wrong position and needing to press it again. Idiotic.

Strangely, they did implement an absolute option for some buttons, like snap, but it should be an option for all binary buttons.

Having absolute options for all buttons would make more advanced and crafty macros possible.

100% correct