Keyboard shortcuts hardly working in ARA and more troubles...

I purchased SL7 a few days ago and it’s really a game changer for me, working in Nuendo 10.3 via ARA.

Unfortunately, I have encopuntered a lot of problems of completely different kinds:

1. All keyboard shortcuts work extremely unreliably in ARA-mode.

Whenever I hit e.g. CTRL+SHIFT+C to “Copy to Layer” it either takes a few hits on the keyboard before the action is carried out or it’s not working at all.

I can evoke the same functions via the toolbar-menu, without any problems, but having to click around menus is just too cumbersome.

2. Sometimes for some reason, when I’m editing with the eraser and amplifier-tools, it looks like the action is working, but when I release the mouse, it all snaps back into the untreated state. So, I can’t edit this region at all.

When I copy the region to a new layer most of the time I can work on it as expected. But again, sometime I’d like to work on the same layer.

(It might be related to project length since it happens mostly on clips around the end of the song (about 3:00 Minutes), but who knows…)

3. Why is there no way to “Zoom to Selection”? I can’t believe that SL7, which is made for detail work, doesn’t offer such a function.

Whenever I make a selection (frequency and/or time) I want to hit a button to see just this selection. Same thing as “Zoom to Selection” in lots of other audio programs.

Please tell me I’ve just not found it yet! :open_mouth:

4. Edits get deleted from a previous region whenever I load up a new instance of SL7 on another clip.

I’ve lost some hours of work to this behaviour? Is it supposed to be used on one region at a time only?

I know there’s a patch coming on wednesday, but I still needed to post these, just for documentation purposes.

SL7 is awesome and I hope you will work it out soon! :slight_smile:

PS:

I’m working on Windows 10 (1909), Nuendo 10.3 (Build 184) @ 96khz/32 Bit, using a CC121 as well as several third-party devices and plugins.

1. As far as I can tell, this has been improved in the latest betas of Cubase 11 and Nuendo 11 (keyboard shortcuts forwarding to SpectraLayers)

2. Known issue in SL 7.0.0, fixed in SL 7.0.10 coming wednesday.

3. There isn’t, but sounds like a useful feature indeed. I will add it to an upcoming patch.

4. Never heard of that one, but sounds like it shares the same root cause as 2. I’ll send you a beta of the patch in PM so you can confirm.

thanks for the feedback !

1. As far as I can tell, this has been improved in the latest betas of Cubase 11 and Nuendo 11 (keyboard shortcuts forwarding to SpectraLayers)

Man, this is my main issue. If this will work as intended, I’m going to run everything through SL! :smiley:

1. Known issue in SL 7.0.0, fixed in SL 7.0.10 coming wednesday.

Awesome!

1. There isn’t, but sounds like a useful feature indeed. I will add it to an upcoming patch.

This would make SL perfect. Personally I’d prefer a keyboard shortcut in addition to maybe double clicking the selection to zoom into it.

1. Never heard of that one, but sounds like it shares the same root cause as 2. I’ll send you a beta of the patch in PM so you can confirm.

Great! I’m going to test it out with that beta. I’m on holiday anyway, so the timing is perfect! :smiley:

Alright, I’ve been test-driving the latest beta patch the whole day yesterday and didn’t encounter issue number 2 the whole time.

I had one crash, still related to “transform selection”, but everything else had been working as expected, except the keyboard-shortcuts, which are really hit and miss.

I hope improvement is possible, since hotkeys are essential to my workflow.

Number 4 seems top be the default behaviour. Whenever I put another instance of SL7 on the same track, but on a different region, all the edits in the first instance seem to be gone.

For now I always render my edits in place, before I put another SL7 instance up.

Thanks for sharing the patch! :slight_smile:

The “transform selection” crash in ARA was just fixed yesterday (after the beta patch you got), it will also be part of the official patch wednesday.

I can’t repro your lost edit issue, could you make a video of it and send it either here, in PM or to contact[at]divideframe.com ?
In Windows 10 you can record a video by making sure Cubase window is active, then press [Win]+[G], click the record button (top left of the screen), then return to Cubase, do the edits, and at the end click the Stop button floating on screen. Then open an Explorer, your video will show up in This PC > Videos > Captures.
If a video is too complicated, a serie of screenshots could work. The more details you can provide to repro, the better. Thanks !

Hey there, thanks for your input!

A video is not a problem. I’ll see, if I can really reproduce the issue or if I was just too tired and made a mistake yesterday. :wink:

Thanks again!

Sorry, if this is in the manual, but is it possible to “normalize” an area, which one has been working on?

Sometimes I go a bit overboard with my edits, for example when editing a vocal, I might attentuate a sibilant with the “Eraser Tool” and later decide, that I wanted to revert those edits.

My current solution is to undo or paint over the attenuated area with the “Amplifier Tool”, but I’m not sure if this really brings back ALL the details of the original recording or just applies gain to an already attenuated area?

If this is possible, I’d like to know how or if maybe my current workflow is already as it’s intended?

There’s not a single workflow in SL, but multiple options.
You can keep your current workflow (erase->amplify), as long as you don’t completely erase data it keeps enough precision that you really don’t need to worry about.
Or you can make a copy of the original layer (that you mute as long as you don’t need it), and copy->paste some areas from it to your work layer when you need to restore the initial state.
There’s probably other workflow as well that would achieve that (but that’s all I can think of right now).

Great, thanks for your help! It’s really fascinating how powerful spectral editing is! (Just discovered the Clone Stamp-Brush :open_mouth:)

Yesterday I’ve been working the whole day and didn’t experience any crashes or anomalies (except the poor shortcut behavior)… so great work so far on the patch.