Kicks over time

How do you create kicks over time for drums in Dorico.
Thanks for the help.

Ingo

Ingo, I’m not sure I understand your question, but I’ll try to answer. Assuming you have your kit set up, you can enter a bar or two of drum pattern as you want. Then click on that bar to select everything, and press R to duplicate it as many times as desired.

Do you mean the notes above the drum staff, that show the rhythm of what the major kicks the rest of the ensemble is playing?

Robby

I do it that way:
I have a dedicated kicks-instrument in my Drum set (a Clave…) that sits on top g (just where I want my kicks).
I write the kicks I want, then I create a Slash Region, then - the important step - with the region selected tick “Show other voices” in the Bottom Panel.

That’s brilliant!

SUUUPER Thanks!!

You’re welcome!

“I have a dedicated kicks-instrument in my Drum set (a Clave…) that sits on top g (just where I want my kicks).
I write the kicks I want, then I create a Slash Region, then - the important step - with the region selected tick “Show other voices” in the Bottom Panel.”

It seems like this needs to be a extra dedicated instrument that serves no other function than kicks over time, since “Show other voices” shows all voices in the drum set.

This is so important. Am I missing something? I hope.

In case this is helpful for someone - the workaround for Kicks over time that worked best for me was to use a useful bug(?) John Barron described here:

Basically he is showing how to use rhythm cues on a drum set staff - unsupported directly but somehow allowed through copying and pasting from a pitched staff. I added a hidden staff just for the Kick cues, and copied everything from there.