Kickstarter for Feature Requests | get the features we want

When Waves did their crowdfunding on the headtracker gizmo, the reactions i heard was.

‘Wow Waves are going under, they can’t fund their own research anymore’
'Have you seen the low prices on their plugins, something is going on"

Imho a bad signal to send, that could hurt the company more than any potential gain.

peakae -

That’s a fantastic point, and I agree with it.

The way Waves goes about its marketing and presentation tends to strike me the wrong way most of the time.

I think the effect of Steinberg campaigns in this regard would be all about how it’s presented.

• If it’s presented as “Give us your money if you want new features,” then your assessment stands 100%.
  • If it’s presented as “We’re trying to revolutionize the industry with a whole new way of doing things. We want to be the first to really accelerate the tools users want. We’re making you, the user, a partner in development for the first time,” then I think it could be seen as Steinberg pioneering again much as they did by establishing VST and other technologies.

Maybe in the long run, the platform could even be used by other audio companies (DAW companies, plugin authors, etc.). Steinberg could build a new way of doing audio software development that would really work directly with the end user.

The fact is, Steinberg only has so much money coming in, and selling new licenses and upgrades for Cubase and WaveLab is a steady (but precarious, given competition) business. At the same time, there are piles of money they could rake in from people who would gladly give it for new features they need. Effectively, the money’s just sitting there, waiting to be taken. A system is needed for Steinberg to efficiently and beneficially take that money. If Steinberg put a system in place, they could capitalize on that available money while increasing brand loyalty and customer retention.

I think the only way to get more new features with every new version of Cubase is hiring new people and rising prices.

Look at the hottest topic in the thread - 7868 views and 97 replies only and how many unique forum members really support this topic? I don’t wanna calculate.