Knob Position Font

Anyone know of a font that includes depictions of knob positions, e.g. mixers or other devices? Just looking for really basic circle with the line at 2/3-o’clock, etc. There used to be a font called controla that had a few, but I can’t even find it (ideally I’m looking for something with a bit more than that in it).

I know this can all be created graphically but it would be more convenient if there was a font that had this.

It would be pretty fast and easy to create. I’d be willing to take a stab at it, if you could send along a little pic of what you had in mind.

Edit: this? Rotary Control Knob Loading Animation Gui Stock Vector (Royalty Free) 1280890507 | Shutterstock

Edit II, just thinking… I guess this sort of thing would generally need to be 1–127, right?

Ok, here’s a simple font for knobs.

Type “A” followed by 1–12. So “A5” is a knob with the dial at 5:00, for example.

5 Likes

Yeah, that sort of thing. That’s very kind to offer.

Blockquote
Ok, here’s a simple font for knobs .>

Yeah, that’s essentially perfect, Dan. A really simple icon like that is best. If you’re up for adding the other knob positions that would be great (wasn’t really expecting anyone to offer to create it), and about 11 positions is probably enough (don’t really need the 6:00 one.).

Thanks!

Can you elaborate? This one does all 12 positions. A1, A2, A3, etc.

Ah, I can’t get it to do that. iIf I type A1, I get the 12.00 one followed by a 1. Do I need to be using a modifier key? Also at the moment I’m trying it Word, not Dorico.

Turn on ligatures in Word and it’ll work.

1 Like

Brilliant! That works! Thanks so much, this is ideal.

1 Like

Actually, SMuFL (and therefore Bravura) has a subsection for pictograms for Electronic Music that contains a number of slider and knob glyphs, going from 0% to 100%, in 20% increments. For the slider there also are two base glyphs which, in principle, you can combine for any arbitrary setting.

2 Likes

I’ve added a few additional glyph classes and made some perfunctory documentation. The updated files are here.

Here are some examples:

I admit I have a font problem…

2 Likes

Amazing. Downloaded. I look forward to the ‘Spinal Tap’ edition that goes to 11. (don’t actually do that!)

@dan_kreider should totally do that.

2 Likes