Knobs and buttons are working but no sound

Hi,
I have searched around the forums and only found one post with almost the same issue but I havn’t gotten any answers since it was a dead “discussion thread” from around 2013. It would mean a lot to me if anyone could help me :slight_smile:.

I have the new version Cubase 11 Element and have a problem with my recently bought usb keyboard. First off, I would like to say that I’m new to these stuff. I’m using a A25 Komplete with Cubase 11 Elements on a Windows PC and I’m getting a clear midi signal from my keyboard visually in the program. All the knobs are working so I can change parameters and such in the program without any problem. The problem is that there’s no sound coming from the computer. I have tried to create an intrument track but there was no sound. I tried pressing the keys on the “virtual” keyboard (HALion SONIC) and there was sound). So That means I guess that there’s nothing wrong in my audio settings… When I look in the settings everything seems alright but I may be using Cubase wrong… Everytihng about the knobs and buttons are working, except for the keys. Am I for example choosing a wrong track type or missing any simple button that needs to be pressed? I’ve watched many tutorials but I cannot seem to make it work. I’m will soon get anger issues beacuse of this :slight_smile:. If anyone could help It would mean the world to me! This is the first DAW ssoftware I’m using exept for Garageband on the Ipad XD.
/Joppal

Hi and welcome,

What Audio Device do you use? Is the driver installed? Is the driver selected in the Studio > Studio Setup > VST Audio System? How is the settings in the Studio > Audio Connections > Outputs, please? Could you provide a screenshots?

When you played HALion Sonic SE’s virtual keyboard, did you have any sound/patch loaded in the slot? Did you see out coming audio signal on the meters in Cubase?

Hi,
Thank you for the answer! I’m using the Generic Low Latency ASIO driver. And to my knowledge it’s installed. I will send a screeenshot. When I was playing on the HALion Sonic SE’s virtual keyboard, i got a sound without problem in my speakers so everything was fine. The problem is when I press the keys on the real keyboard It doens’t make any sound. I do get a midi signal down in the right corner so Cubase knows that I’m using the keyboard. It’s like the keys aren’t connected to the instument. Hope I gave you the information as you requested!

Hi,

OK, if you can hear the sound if you play the HALion Sonic SE’s virtual keyboard then the problem is not on the audio side.

If I understand you right, you create an Instrument track, hit Record Enable, you have All MIDI Inputs selected as an inputs of the Instrument track, you load a sound/patch in the HALion Sonic and you don’t hear anything, right?

Open the HALion Sonic SE GUI… Once you play at your MIDI Keyboard, can you see the MIDI Channel Numbers (on the left side) are flashing in orange to indicate MIDI input signal?

Hi,
That is correct to answer the first question. I do not see any flashing midi Channel numbers tho. Everything stays static except for the blue “midi in activity” bar in the lower right corner of the program when I play on the keyboard…

Hi,

Is the All MIDI In input selected in the track, please?

Do you use any Remote Device? Isn’t the input to the track filtered out by the remote device?

Hi,
Yes, All MIDI in input is selected… Nope, I don’t use any remote device. You can see in the picture to the left If everything seems alright.

Hi,

Could you attach another screenshot wench the HALion Sonic SE plug-in is open, please?

And another one from your Studio > Studio Setup, please?

Hi,
Yeah sure! Since I cannot fit every category in one screenshot, I took a couple of screenshots. Since I cannot post more than 3 picture you will have to ask me for a specific screenshot If I’m missing something :slight_smile:

Hi,

OK, this seems to be correct.

What about Preferences > MIDI > MIDI Filter. Isn’t Note filtered out here?

Hi,
Note isn’t filled out here, and when i check these boxes the problem remains. I will send a screenshot of that “page”.

Hi,

Oh, all Channels seem to be filtered out. I mean, it’s hard to distinguish… But if you click any of the Channel button, it would become slightly darker, right? If it’s darker, then the filter is switched off. Please, try to switch all channels here.

If the buttons become brighter once you click them, then the filter is not applied now and you would enable it by clicking.

So… It must be in the darker state, to make it work.

Hi,

Something great happend! Now, when I have all the channels set to dark, I can see in HALion Sonic SE’s GUI that the “event recieved” lamp lights up when i’m turning any knobs. And the Midi signal does also light up next to the HALion Title if you know where I mean. Still no sound from the keys…
Seems like the keyboard is working perfectly except that the keys aren’t working since knobs are responding and “PLAY”, “REC” buttons etc. Do I need any software in the background for my keyboard?

Hi,

Is there a sound loaded in the HALion Sonic SE?

Could you attach the screenshot of the HALion Sonic SE now, please?

Hi,
Yes there is a sound loaded in the HALion Sonic SE. I will send a screenshot! I took the screenshot when I was turning a knob so you can see the lights that lights up.

Hi,

I can see the incoming MIDI signal. But I don’t see any key would be pressed down. Did you play in the instrument/sample range? I don’t see meters of the audio output would show a signal.

Hi,
Nothing happens when I press a key. That photo was taken when I was turning a knob to show the lights. Still no sound when playing on the keyboard…

Hi,

Sorry, I’m not NI Komplete Kontrol owner… Could you (just for test) please set all Remote Devices (even Komplete Kontrol) to No Inputs, please?

Hi,
No I’ve done that. No difference…

Hi,

Could you add MIDI Insert MIDI Monitor to the track? Can you see incoming MIDI Notes in the plug-in, please?