Komplete VSTi (or similar ??)

I have Komplete 8 and plan to upgrade to komplete 9 ultimate …soon. Their library of sounds is quite extensive and after a year I am still discovering more sounds that I have yet to try out. Within Kontakt factory librabry they have their sounds sorted as Band. choir, orchestral, world, synth, vintage and urban beats plus in the orchestral they have their legacy instruments in there as well. Then there are the add on libraries such as Abbey road drums, Berlin Concert piano ETC you can chose not to install those libraries. Personally I think that Komplete Ultimate 9 is probably the best bang for anyone’s buck, huge sample librbary, VTI synths FM8. Massive, Absynth, guitar rig plus the plug effects plug packages of Solid Mix, EQ and Comp and the Classic reverbs bundle… there is a lot there.

I’m not sure what differences Komplete 9 vs Komplete 9 ultimate are for samples, but regardless of what you get you are probably going to have more than you need and will either will find the jazz stuff meets your needs or leaves you wanting just a bit more which would mean looking for a specific sample library that might cost has much as Komplete does. You can buy specific add ons indiviaully and install them as well.

Newman / JMCecil,

Thanks a lot for your extremely helpful replies guys.

i have spent all afternoon going through everything that i can on the various options/packages. A lot of things i am still not totally sure about (mainly stuff like terminology and specs) because i am relatively new to this medium. But having thought long and hard am am a good 90% sure i am going to purchase :-

‘vir2 Mojo Horns’ (for JAZZ BAND)

http://www.timespace.com/product/MOJO-1/6/mojo_horns/vir2_instruments_mojo%3a_horn_section.html

‘Project Sam Orchestral Essentials’ (for CLASSICAL)

‘Sound Iron Oympic Elements’ (for CHOIRS)

It was a very tough decision but i think this is the correct way forward for me. Yes, Kontakt and Komplete are excellent and offer fantastic value for money, but at the end of the day i really want/need dedicated VSTi’s instruments which are genre specific. This may be a more expensive way of doing it but at the end of the day (hyperthetically speaking) i would much rather have TEN sounds that i use all the time rather than TEN THOUSAND that i seldom use. i am a good ‘all round’ musician but ultimately i am planning to use Cubase to generate Classical and Jazz music for the most part. i looked thru many of the add-on VSTi’s offered by Native Instruments and again, while they are all excellent, i am anticipating that most of the packs i will be purchasing in the future will be dedicated 3rd Party ones.

Ta,

Paul

In comparing all available audio demonstrations, i can honestly say that the three packages mentioned above sounded superior to the Kontakt/Komplete libraries (of these three particular instrumentations). Personally, i think i would much rather pay the extra bucks and have a smaller library of sounds of which i am completely satisfied with and which are tailor made to fit the style(s) of my compositions and arrangements.

Sounds like you have your own preferences clearly defined and your system up and running. i guess that you have been thru a bit of trial and error to get where you are now. It was interesting to hear that you have used some of the ‘Project Sam’ materials, even if for free.

At the end of the day (whether it be Native Intruments products or whatever), you get what you pay for. If you buy CHEAP, you buy TWICE !! :blush:

A wise statement. I certainly commend you for taking the time to carefully research your decision. Either way you decide, I hope it works out greatly for you.
J.L.

Thanks Jaslan,

i greatly appreciate your time, experience and encouragement.

i am actually going AGAINST what many people have advised me to do, but those who recommended the alternative path (of Kontakt) should not feel their time has been wasted because their knowledge sharing has helped me to arrive at the decision i have finally made.

There is a motto in sales :-

“The customer is always RIGHT” !! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I think i would’ve done the same thing in your situation. Buying instruments in quantities like Komplete doesn’t work for me. It takes time to learn an instrument, and if you get 20 at once there is no way you can use them all to their full potential.

Ta Strophoid,

One of the things which appealed to me (orchestrally) about the Project Sam Essentials is that they come with lots of PRESET combinations of Sections (eg. Upper Strings with Low Woodwinds, Full Winds, Violins & Violas with Clarinets, etc etc). Meaning the combinations are configured and sound superb already. This will save me many hours and means that i can just call up the combi and start making music straight away. At the musical intellectual stage of intelligence i am currently at, this will be more than enough for me.

Ta,

Paul