Kontakt 6 UI [HiDPI] Still Broken Especially With New Option Enabled

Sadly, I already must report that when enabling the newly added option (from the plug-in right-click menu) “Allow Window to be Resized” the user interface of Kontakt 6 [latest v6.4.2] renders to absolute nonsense. It is important to note, that for a split second the UI renders as expected but then instantly crashes by collapsing all the UI elements. When keeping this new option disabled, the (relative) UI stays in shape, but just like already in Cubase 10.5, it will remain really small and almost illegible. People who have dealt with these issues will know what I am talking about.

I have also tested this with LoopMash, where the UI does not natively support HiDPI/Retina either. At least here “Allow Window to be Resized” works fully as expected. I am assuming the bug with Kontakt 6 exists, because Kontakt’s interface is resizable by itself. I find it astonishing how none of the beta testers have been able to detect this major UI bug in due time… This was the number one fix I was looking forward to!

This subject absolutely deserves recognition: What I am reporting here is nothing entirely new. This issue has now been going on for already three generations starting with the introduction of HiDPI/Retina in Cubase version 10. For anyone who is unfamiliar with this problem I do want to emphasize that this has absolutely nothing to do with Microsoft Windows. In fact, for the sake of justice I want to point at their well-structured documentation, which explains this exact topic in detail, so any keen programmer can eliminate these DPI problems.

Other DAWs like Ableton and Studio One have been able to sort this out a long time ago. Three years is a long time, even for something as complex as software development. Just for the record: In Ableton Live the entire HiDPI interface of the DAW got ruined with the Windows May 2020 Update (20H1), but they managed to fix this within a month after the Windows update had gotten released, something which we Cubase users can only dream of. This goes to show fixing appearance issues like these might be tedious, but really is not rocket science.
As of now I still have no other choice but to use the Windows Magnifier tool, or disable HiDPI altogether, which would be absolutely ridiculous at this stage, since the rest of the HiDPI integration in Cubase 11 finally seems to be on point (knocking on wood!).

I do have to admit that for such a (third) paid update this is really sad and disappointing. Following these incidents, I will definitely try to sign up becoming a (real) beta tester in order to prevent these things from ever happening again. As of now I am still unsure, whether it is unawareness or rather incompetence which keeps these issues persisting. I have good hopes that with such detailed contributions it will be possible to eliminate annoyances like these, which have been creeping through the last couple of major update cycles.

Bumping this for interest

Also

is the “Allow Window to be Resized” option global or on/off for individual plugins/instruments? If so, does Kontakt work (albeit with the smaller UI) if you just turn off that option?

+1
Cannot believe they still not sorted out the issues with HiDPI. Only reason I am waiting for new versions

1 Like

Eh, I get these issues with Studio One as well. HiDPI is NOT perfect on S1.

The “Allow Window to be Resized” option is set at an individual plug-in basis, however, I think once you turn it on for a specific kind of plug-in, all subsequent created instruments of that plug-in will have this option enabled unless you change it back. Generally, this makes sense and should be the desired behaviour of the user.

Have you been able to reproduce this issue in Cubase 11? I have worked with Studio One at a friend’s house and have never experienced the plug-in UI being that corrupt! Actually, I did not experience any unwanted appearance issues with S1; though they do tend to use thin lines and thin fonts at many places, which I did not like so much.
I agree that HiDPI is often the cause of visual glitches, but the current appearance of Kontakt 6 in Cubase is horrendous when working at a 4K screen having HiDPI enabled. Kontakt 6 is one of the most popular samplers… I wonder how all the film scoring people deal with this.

:astonished: really, that’s the main reason i bought the upgrade today, hdpi in kontakt and most of UAD. Not to mention I still wait for the servers to become available…

Yes, this was also my most anticipated fix. Could you please test this once your C11 is running, and then report back here if you experience the same issue with Kontakt? Just to be sure the error is not on my side.

Not working in C11: as soon as the feature for scaling is activated, Kontakt enlarges its GUi but the window itself does not
(so parts of Kontakt not visible and super blurry)

1 Like

Same problem here :frowning:

Yes pretty disappointing, this was one of main reasons I bought the update. It also happens with other NI plugins & ozone 9, but ozone 6, trash 2, ezdrummer 2 & amplitude 4 scale just fine. I really hope we don’t have to wait unil 11.5 for this to be sorted. I thought that a plugin as popular as kontakt would be a priority when it came to hidpi compatibility.

So I can confirm Kontakt 6.4 still small on 4K ;( Scaling it makes it unusable… damn

Uad plug-ins work, bit blurry thou.

Hi all,

We are in contact with our friends at Native Instruments and they are working on a solution. More details will follow soon.

All the best,
Matthias

1 Like

some similiar issues here. Check this guys.

But it is nice to finally have that option to resize (double size) the old nonHiDPI plugins. Love that option. Steinberg, big Thumbs Up for that!!! (even it is pretty buggy now)

Same here! :frowning:

One of the best announcements of this year. Thanks for the info!

Great news indeed!
Hope they get it sorted at NI before the end of this year, as stated on their site.

Excellent news!! Can’t wait to stop squinting :smiley:

AAwwwhh, still no update on this from NI, was hopeful it would be fixed before the end of the year

Yep, same problem still here in Sept 2021, with Cubase 11.0.30 and Windows 10.