Kontakt installed in a different hard disk than Dorico

Hi to you all,

it seems to me that Dorico does not have - as Cubase does - a scanning system of VST’s and plugins, so how can I use Kontact if it is installed in a different hard disk than Dorico?

I believe you can in theory add folders to the file Vst2xPlugin SearchPaths VSTAudioEngine.xml which you will find in your %APPDATA%\Steinberg\VSTAudioEngine_64 (Windows) or /Users/your-username/Library/Preferences (Mac) folders. I’m not 100% sure how this is done, e.g. I’m not sure what the significance of the ID field is and how that number is generated, but you could try adding a suitable node to that XML file using a proper text editor (not WordPad or TextEdit, but something like Sublime Text, SciTE, BBEdit, etc.).

That’s right, not only in theory but also in practise, you can add search paths in the mentioned xml file. Just forget about the ID field, it will get adjusted by the audio engine automatically.

Hi, thanks for your quick answer!
Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a .xml with that name inside the Dorico folder in my hard disk (I found a VSTAudioEngine.exe instead). Am I searching in the wrong place?

Have a look again in C:\Users<your-name>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\VSTAudioEngine_64

If all those directories are hidden on your system, a quick way to get to them is to hold down the windows key and tap r.
In the “Run” dialog type in (or copy/pate it from here):

"%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\VSTAudioEngine_64"