l.v. across barlines

Dear users and developers.

How could I draw ‘l. v.’ across barlines as follows (an extract from p. 73 of Gould’s book):
Screenshot 2020-06-08 02.27.57.png
Thanks in advance!

That’s a tricky one.
It certainly doesn’t work with the l.v. Property, but I wonder if one could make his own slur style line in the new line editor to accomplish this?

I suspect the quickest way is to make a custom Playing Technique. Here’s my suggestion:

1. Use a real l.v. tie on the note in bar 1. Shape as you wish.
  2. Take a graphic slice of that l.v. tie, in SVG format.
  3. Create a new Playing Technique that uses a glyph, but switch to the Graphic section of the Edit Playing Technique editor and then import your SVG file back in. Set to appear below by default.
  4. Place the Playing Technique (using the caret) as close to the left of the barline as you can (I went with a demi/32nd note 'cos I’m lazy). Repeat for the other bars. Select the whole set of them, switch to Engrave mode, and use Alt-Up/Left to get the placement exactly perfect.
  5. Use Force Duration for the first of the three separate crotchet/quarter rests - the other two will follow automatically.
  6. I’ve been lazy again - I’ve just used “damp” text with an arrow from Wingdings 3, but you could construct an arrow Playing Technique in the same way, by repeating steps 1-3 but with a real vertical arrow (which must attach to a real note; it can’t attach to a rest).

At some point, turn off the l.v. property on the first note. I’ve left it for demonstration purposes only.

1 Like

Thank you for the strategy!

Despite this manual way, it would be great if Dorico natively supports this type of notation!
Would it be possible in a future version?

Prko all I can say is it would be useful in other contexts too. I was recently playing from an edition of organ music where a chord was sustained for multiple measures that employed the same technique so that other elements of the score that were changing were easier to spot. I hope that if this is implemented, there will be an option for chords that require multiple ties too.

Great point! The workaround, though doable, is quite cumbersome…