Labels to the left of staff

2022-02-10 11_02_16-II in Duet Suite for one piano two hands
i would like to put labels to the left of the staves to make it easier for the player to realize that the top is for the right hand and the bottom two for the left. does anyone know how to do that?

Dorico doesn’t have a way of automatically labelling each staff of the piano independently. If you want to do this, one approach would be to use three separate single-staff instruments and then join them with a custom brace, but whether or not this is really a good idea depends on what else you’re planning to do in terms of e.g. cross-staff beaming etc. later on.

@Bernhard_Metzger
Salve,
vuoi questo?

…vai in Configurazione e poi in Modofica i nomi.
Riffero 2

…in Nome completo cancella tutto e poi scrivi RH poi Invio per 4 volte poi scrivi Piano LH poi Invio per 4 volte poi scrivi LH ed infine Ok.
Spero di esserti stato utile. Scusami se scrivo in italiano ma non conosco la lingua inglese.
Buona Musica.

1 Like

Solo piano music does not generally use staff labels at all. It is much more standard to label the hands as you have done, and have just a brace without “Piano” at the left.

For this particular bar, “LH” on the middle staff is really the only label that is needed. I would even just use clef changes on one staff, unless the hand crossing goes on for a long time.

@Mark_Johnson
Ciao,
quello che dici è risaputo però Bernhard_Metzger ha quella particolare necessità quindi ho voluto fargli vedere che con Dorico si può fare.
Buona Musica.

Potresti notare che la mia risposta era direttamente al post originale, non al tuo.

…certo, nessun problema.

Lo adoro! questo è un trucco geniale. non parlo italiano quindi ho usato google translate. spero che questo non sia venuto male

@Bernhard_Metzger
Perfetto! Ci siamo capiti benissimo.
Buona Musica

Here is a nice-looking example from Ligeti’s piano etude no. 6, “Automne à Varsovie”, but I can’t figure out if this bracketing is possible or not in Dorico.

As far as I know, there are no sub-brackets with braces… But I might be wrong!
[Edit] I thought vertical lines (with a long brace as annotation) could maybe solve the problem, but I can’t make it work…

1 Like

You could bracket the 3 staves together, sub-bracket the bottom 2 and show the sub-bracket as a brace, but you can’t have brace-on-brace.

2 Likes

@Stephen_Taylor
Ciao,
non facilissimo ma si può fare (con qualche trucco).
Buona Musica.

4 Likes

Ma come l’hai fatto?

@Stephen_Taylor
Ciao,
purtroppo non ho molto tempo, l’unica cosa che posso fare è allegare il file così potrai vedere come ho fatto i miei trucchi (niente di speciale). E’ poco tempo che adopero Dorico quindi quello che ho fatto è stato solo intuito. Buona Musica.

Prova.dorico (541.3 KB)

2 Likes

Sub-bracket as Playing Technique, meter with MusGlyphs, nice!

1 Like