Lag with VSTs using Cubase 12

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have a fast PC. i9 processor, 128 GB ram, and SSD drives. Issue: After I have tracked 8 to 10 VST tracks, I will start getting a lag when laying down additional new VST tracks. Is it something with direct monitoring.? I have tried multiple DSPs. It is perplexing to say the least. My work around is when I begin to get the lag I to convert the existing VST tracks into audio and drag everything into a new mix and all works again for 8 or so more new tracks and then I have to do it all again. This has been going on for about 10 years and through 3 PCs. Any thoughts guys. It would be nice to have smooth sailing and not have to stop and move tracks info new mixes. Thanks for any suggestions. I appreciate you guys.

Do you mean by “lag” the time difference between hitting a key and the sound being heard? That is usually caused by plugins which add latency, so if you add those to the signal path, say on a group or the master output (or the control room, often forgotten), it can add up to the point of being noticeable.
The solution is “Constrain Delay Compensation”, which you can use to temporarily disable plugins that cause latency (configurable via Preferences/VST/Delay compensation threshold)

Thanks so much for the info. I was considering that and possibly track freezing. I may first try doing away with direct monitoring and set up some matrix’s on my old Yamaha M2500 mixing console and keep it all in real-time.