Lanes do not collapse like folders, or do they?

Seems like a simple scenario.

Is there a button somewhere I’ve overlooked?

Yes.

Maybe it’s hidden on your setup - check Track Controls settings.

Forgot to mention that I’m using MIDI as the lane “carrier”.

Track Control Settings are as follows:

Visible Controls

Name
Record Enable
Monitor
Read/Write-Enable
Edit Channel Settings
Edit in-Place
Inserts/Sends
Drum Map
Lock
Lane Display Type
Channel
Output
Programs

Hidden Controls

Toggle time base

It seems there is nothing to change the behavior of how lanes operate in relation to MIDI parts unless there is a preference or something I’m a bit mystified.

click on the “Lane Display Type” button and you’ll see. on mouse over it should say “show lanes”.

It does but then the parts are all stacked one on top of the other.

Hardly an intelligent organizational tool.

hopefully you’re just using a trial version of cubase and can move on to another software which will better suit your needs. :laughing:

I see multiple threads in which you complain about things.

Like what do you suggest?

It’s fairly simple.

Show lanes shows all the clips on that track, with the active lane differentiated.

Unshow lanes shows the top (playing) lane (audio, MIDI is different). Unfortunately in Cubase 6 it also puts big ugly cross-hatching over it all.

What other sort of display would you like?

Hi,

It’s more handling as opposed to display that I’m wanting changed, in that firstly I’d like to see lanes function more like folders in that they (lanes) can be hidden.

Secondly, I would like solo functionality in terms of lanes to be operate more like tracks however only in the context of the track under which lanes exist.

Third the editing of MIDI data should in my view work in a more transparent way, so that all notes can be selected and worked with in a relative fashion.

Four selection of the header part for a track should not automatically select a specific lane, ie the first created lane but should instead play back all information and while I know this may cause civil unrest in this forum not everyone operates in the same manner than has previously been the case.

It does sound like what you want is more akin to a folder track than lanes. The main function of lanes is to provide alternative takes of a single track.

“Secondly, I would like solo functionality in terms of lanes to be operate more like tracks however only in the context of the track under which lanes exist.”

IIUY this works with a group of MIDI tracks in a folder.

“Third the editing of MIDI data should in my view work in a more transparent way, so that all notes can be selected and worked with in a relative fashion.”

This is quite possible in the MIDI editor. For example, the MIDI editor can display data from several tracks at once, if you need to work on them together.

Four - again, this would not be an issue with MIDI tracks in a folder.

I think what you’re asking for is something in between lanes and folders, but I can’t quite understand what you want or why you can’t get it with either one or the other.

That’s indeed how lanes are described in the Cubase manual. Sounds to me like the OP wants lanes to operate like tracks in folders - but we already have that. Or, I don’t really get what is exactly wanted that’s different from what we already have.