Laptop heating up

Hello fellow Cubase users,

I discovered that my Macbook Pro ist getting really warm by just having Cubase opened. No tracks loaded, no signal running, just an empty project. Pretty strange, I’m wondering what’s being processed, that is causing this heat built up?

Maybe Cubase uses a lot of graphic power, but even If i don’t do anything within the program? Doesn’t make sense to me. This is my system:

Macbook Pro Retina 15"
i7 @ 2,7 GHz
16 GB Ram
512 GB SSD
OSX 10.10.5
Cubase 8.0.4

Has anyone experienced something similar?

On Win7 there’s an option to switch on the Cubase ‘Audio Power Scheme’ (in Device Setup->VST Audio System). So, when I start up Cubase the CPU goes straight to it’s highest clock frequency rather than idling at a low frequency (i.e. when it sees it’s not doing anything) and therefore it gets hotter and the fans start to speed up. Stopping Cubase it all goes back to low power mode again. One presumes this is to allow Cubase to use all the power should it need it, and the by-product of this is that more power is used generally, creating more heat from the outset. This is on a Windows7 PC, perhaps this happens on Macs as well, worth checking out…

Mike.

Yes I have experienced this last winter in the studio when I was recording. Turn on the AC in your studio. Or keep it cool…

Unfortunately this option doesn’t exist on Mac. But there is the possibility to “boost” the audio priority, which I have enabled since I started using Cubase years ago. So this doesn’t seem to be the point.