Laptop Performance Takes A Dive

Hi,

I have a Lenovo laptop, which, while not the highest performing pc in the world should as far as I know be
well capable of running Cubase. Here are the specs:

Lenovo Ideapad 500S, Windows 10, Intel Core i5-6200U, CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2401 Mhz, 8.00 GB of RAM.

I have the laptop about a year and for most of the time it was fine. I could run 30 to 4o tracks with effects before the the cpu maxed out but now I have trouble running even a couple of tracks before the Audio Processing and Disk Cache Load meters hit the red.

I was originally running Cubase 9 and as far as I remember there were no issues. Problems seemed to happen after I updated to Cubase 9.5 but I can’t be certain that’s the reason.

I followed all the Windows steps to improve performance but didn’t make any difference.

Following advice on this forum I uninstalled both versions of Cubase and reinstalled 9.5 but that didn’t work.

I reset Windows and reinstalled Cubase 9.5 which improved things slightly but nowhere near enough.

There are no indications that anything is wrong with the system.

Any suggestions or do I need to buy a new one? :question:

All the best

Seamus

bump

Been having a similar problem with Nuendo where it’ll show near 200% cpu usage while idle

UPDATE

Ran Task Manager to see what was hogging resources as I opened a Cubase project that had been overloading the Audio Processing Meter and sure enough found the culprit to be the RAM which was going over 80%. I was glad but also puzzled to find this because last year I upgraded the RAM from 4 GB to 8 and at 4 GB I had no problems! I ran a test to check the RAM but found nothing wrong.

Anyway in the end I bought a new laptop with 16 GB RAM and problem is solved for now…

Hello Shay2,

Which laptop did you buy? I’m searching for a new one too.

Thank you.

Guillaume