Large Midi Rig

How are Steinberg users handling larger midi rigs?

I have a bunch of older midi synths (with midi ports, not usb ports) that I’d like to wire up to my new Win 7 computer. I have two midex8s from my old XP machine. Is my best choice for good timing to use the midex8s, or are there better solutions for hooking up many hardware synths?

-Tom

Well, I am using one Steinberg Midex8 with a couple of old JLCooper MIDI patch-bays (a 16/20 and one which is 8/10 and has manual routing knobs for each MIDI input). I don’t know what your definition of a “larger MIDI rig” is, but I’ve got some MIDI keyboards and rack modules (enough to fill up the path-bays and there are still some unused devices). I’ve used Cubase since before it was called Cubase, on Atari.

BTW, I am not sure that two Midex8’s can be used together on one computer. I read somewhere (in the forum here) that people have had problems with setups involving more than one Midex8 device. So I would check with the forum and perhaps with Steinberg Support before committing, if this functionality is important.

I use 1 Midex 8 on W7 64-bit and it works great. Never actually tested the latency but I can work with it :wink:
Like Steve said though, no guarantees you can use more than 1, but I suggest you try and find out for yourself!