Last TOOLS for MR version 1.7.9 for macOS released

Maybe it will show up in 5 years like the CC121 update, have faith fellas, LOL

I wish ā€¦

Please SB and Yamaha thereā€™s been TOOLS updates for CC121ā€¦ the CMC range ā€¦ just one more step to let us keep our 816ā€™s useful.

Think of the environment, think of the landfills, think of the CHILDREN!..

Seriously though there is NO good reason not to put the effort in. Even if you charged for an update to cover costs it would benefit all the users of the devices which clearly have an ongoing value. Not to mention the good will ā€¦

Once the job is done and a 64 bit tools is compiled you can put it away for a long time. Donā€™t think 128 bit is coming for for a whileā€¦

2 Likes

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Pitiful. This bricking of my fine interface will make me look no more to Steiny for my hardware needs

A SOFTWARE UPDATE is all that is needed here. FW is NOT dead on the Mac BTW

1 Like

I have already been forced to replace mine, because of Steinbergā€™s malware driver update! And it wasnā€™t with anything with the name Steinberg on it.

What ya get?

1 Like

A Behringer UMC1820. I know that itā€™s not comparable to the 816, but itā€™s better than nothing. Itā€™ll have to do until I can afford something like a MOTU 828x, or even a UAD Apollo. I can use it as a remote interface for Cubasis, when that day comes.

If you go with MOTU get the 828 ES version, way better AD/DA. I had a MOTU 828 before the MR BTW.

1 Like

I love the 816. I just donā€™t trust Steinberg any more.

1 Like

MR was a gamble for me anyways

1 Like

So Steinberg has finally shown their cards. As suspected, Steinbergs agenda really is to force their users to buy new hardware!
https://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandevents/news/newsdetail/article/special-offer-upgrade-your-mr816-to-axr4-5499.html

I wonder how many will fall for this scam?

1 Like

Um NO

While stuck at home I went through my ā€˜old gearā€™ boxes ā€¦ lo and behold I found an original MOTU Traveller firewire interface. Could have sworn Iā€™d passed it on years go after I bought the MR816.

Anyway I hauled it out and went to MOTUā€™s site where it is listed as a ā€œLegacyā€ productā€¦ I think it came out 2-3 years before the MR816. I put an email to MOTU support about the status of its drivers and sure enough within a few hours got a reply and a link to current drivers which completely support Mac OS 10.15 Catalina.

Compared to Yamaha MOTU is a tiny company and they can give proper support to customers. So Steinbergā€¦ get on the phone to Yamaha and negotiate a proper 816 driver update to 64 bit. At least a Configuration Control Panel so we can use the 816 as a set of external Mic Preā€™s. Based on the precedent provided by other vendors the decision to abandon the 816 just isnā€™t acceptable to your customers.

2 Likes

Whilst I understand that support resources need to be allocated differently sometimes, to drop support for any product which retails in this kind of price bracket, comes as a bit of a shock. I think perhaps you may have lost sight of just how expensive these products are - and that many customers, like myself, are not earning money from our use of these products; in other words, we are not professionals. I also think the announcement of the end of support is perhaps a bit on the brief side and, as such, doesnā€™t help to reflect the empathy it claims - though I realise you have clearly not made this decision lightly. Without wishing to gripe, but merely to register agreement with the unhappy consensus of this thread, it is reasonable and inevitable that potential buyers of MR816 replacement options are jittery at the prospect of investing further in SB hardware. The appetite for it has definitely been diminished somewhat. And I write as a long-time SB supporter and advocate who has never found anything to complain about with SB before now.

1 Like

Actually, Steinberg has revealed it agenda. It is to drum up sales of the AXR interfaces. An agenda that is doomed to fail! I will never trust Steinberg when it comes to hardware again!

The claim that itā€™s because itā€™s discontinued, is hogwash. Steinberg still supports the Houston. A piece of hardware that is so old that I donā€™t think many knows what it is!

1 Like

I keep my Mojave until I see there a nothing necessary. Then, I will invest in a Larger SDD and make it dual boot. I can also use my old PC and use System Link to have some fun. They have already decided to do this, we need to do what is the best for us.

Nice post and agree with the sentiment and your ultimate conclusion. Itā€™s why when I had to replace my 3 interfaces (need them to be both PC and Mac compatible) I gave Steinberg and their new AXR interface a wide berth. The AXR looks like a good product but the support side of it simply cannot be trusted.

I invested in Universal Audio Apolloā€™s. Similar-ish price to the AXR and still use the MRā€™s as ADAT slaves, as they function perfectly. I donā€™t need the DSP of the MR as I use the DSP in the Apollos for all ADAT channels and have way more options. Iā€™m hopeful that one day Steinberg will change their support policy for their hardware, but itā€™ll takes years of consistency for me to trust them again.

2 Likes

May I ask which interface you used Universal Audio Apollo if you donā€™t mind? I might do the same setup.

I bought 1 x Apollo x8p and 2 x Apollo x8. With the deal that was on offer at the time I also got an Octo Satellite and and 2 x Quad Satellite thrown in. I already had an Octo PCIE card and quite a few of their plugins, so it was a no brainer for me. It did feel like a forced update at the time due to the dropped driver support on the MR but to be fair, I was already starting to consider an upgrade. Iā€™m very glad I made the change.

Steinberg interfaces were in consideration for approx the amount of imperceivable tracking latency I now have with my new setups at any buffer size. I almost always forget about the first time I was bitten with the MRā€™s and that was the whole daisy chaining debacle. So twice bitten!..

Back again ā€¦

Please Ed, Stefan and the team ā€¦ just a few lines of code to help keep all the 816ā€™s on Mac lit up with 64 bit drivers!

I know you want to sell lots of AXRā€™s ( and Iā€™d love one ā€¦ ) but it doesnā€™t help you to force the 816 contingent out the door! I mean chances are if an 816 user felt like upgrading to an AXR theyā€™d want to use the 816 for extra inputsā€¦ stands to reason. But if thereā€™s no viable 64 bit driver to at least configure the thing they canā€™t.

Not mention the fact that selling an 816 might get someone well on the way to an AXR ā€¦ but that becomes a tough job if buyers feel they canā€™t use the 816!

Firewire as a protocol will stick around for decades by virtue of being wrapped up in Thunderbolt / USB C so no issue there.

BY NOT continuing driver support SB/Yamaha are shooting themselves in the foot. Keeping products useful is the best way to build an ecosystem that users can expand upon ā€¦ and they will keep coming back for your new gear. Killing off earlier products just ends up killing the newer stuff too.

Come on ā€¦ its just a matter of Willā€¦ decisions can be changed.

1 Like