Latency on USB2 vs. USB3

Hi,

My application involves live “broadcasting” on short-wave radio. Spoken word only.

Now, I have been using a simple dual core i5 lap-top (WIndows 10), Live Professor 2 (VST Host) and a string of plug-ins with some of them rather demanding. Tape emulations and some limiters for instance.

Would switching to a Steinberg Audio/USB Interface that features USB 3.0 make any significant improvement to the latency or should I just keep on using the UR22 which has a USB 2.0 port? I think that should I upgrade from a lap-top to an octa-core i8 desk-top might be ill-advised unless I also have an interface with USB 3.0, right? I am not going to even consider Thunderbolt or other platforms for speed here and will stick with USB.

Any comments or suggestions?

Best!

JJ

It’s hard to say for sure but I really doubt the USB 2.0 port is the “bottleneck” in your setup. USB 3.0 probably won’t change much.

Indeed, USB 2.0 vs. 3.x doesn’t make a significant difference. Bandwidth is more than enough on USB 2.0. The new UR-C series offers slightly lower latencies in general though - given that the computer is capable of handling those.

Hello Ed, Guten Tag!

I appreciate the response. Overall, latency isn’t necessarily a huge issue, but I am wondering whether having less latency could also make some of the more sophisticated (such as tape emulations) plug-ins work more effectively, operating in their “sweet spot” with enough CPU power and wide enough data bandwidth? I know that I am overcomplicating things in my quest for the “perfect” audio on short wave radio that imposes other, very unique limitations that one will not have when recording music. Of course, recording is faced with its unique restrictions and limitations that my application does not have to contend with.

Best!

JJ

Hello JJ, I don’t really see a connection here. When it comes to plug-in processing, this either works correctly or not at all in case of a system overload.
Many users work with low latencies during the recording and increase the buffer size while mixing to have more system resources available.