Latency Values

I know the record track is not affected by ASIO GUARD, but the playback tracks I’m listening to ARE affected… right? If so, wouldn’t that mean the larger buffer is in effect for those playback tracks and so I would be syncing my recording to high latency tracks? Does ADJUST FOR RECORD LATENCY solve that problem, and if so, how do you know how many samples to set that adjust for record latency …for?

Here is a thread about ASIO guard where it is explained in more detail:

I have actually no idea what “adjust for record latency “ does. The manual isn’t very helpful either. I never touched that setting.
But it is just an on/off setting, you don’t configure that in samples, that is the “record shift” setting, which imho is something different, but I never touched that either, as I have absolutely no problems with recordings.

The manual really could be better in this regard…

There is no latency on the playback tracks with what you are recording. We would never get anything done if there was. Tracks play back in time as you will see if you enable the metronome and you can play along and it will be in time with the metronome and track. It’s always been like this. Latency is only an issue playing vst instruments or non direct monitoring of audio recording.

Thanks mkok. I work mostly in the box, whether it’s VSL libraries, Kontakt or others so everything is VSTi’s. Some like the newer Vienna libraries (Synchron) can be very CPU heavy unlike their older stuff which I tend to use more of… which has very light CPU load. I have plenty of vintage outboard gear from the 70’s on, but some of it needs fixing and I haven’t found a trusted local source for doing that yet.

What is your experience with ASIO GUARD and do you use the RECORD LATENCY ADJUST and if so, how do you determine how many samples to set it for? As far as my latency issues, I’m going to install the Yamaha PCie Dante Card I bought last year which I hope will get my latencies down.

I have asio guard enabled on its lowest setting and find it works well keeping cpu usage a lot more constant without sudden spikes. It doesn’t effect latency when recording. I don’t use record latency adjust.

“Record latency adjust” is only for wrong reported latency values or if there is something that can’t get reported (like ADAT connected AD converters)… to correct them.
If all drivers and devices work as they should, there is no need for additional settings.

You will benefit the most from using the PCIe Dante card.

Trying to get the PCIe card to show up in Dante Controller. The network works fine with DVS card, the same connection to the primary of the Yamaha PCIe card, yields nothing. Cubase recognizes it and displays all the track capability and the lights on the PCIe card indicate it’s working normally… but Dante Controller doesn’t even know its there. yuk

Ok… Yamaha tech support on this card is questionable and did not effectively track the problem to solution. In desperation I emailed AUDINATE the owners of the DANTE data format. I didn’t think support emailing is so great but Brett Begani stuck it out instead of going home when his work day was over. Latency between the Lynx Hilo USB ASIO, and the Yamaha Dante PCIe card ASIO for the same size buffer (512 samples at 96k/24bit) was a whopping 40% reduction with the PCIe card. Plus, I got a warning when I tried Hilo USB operating at 256 sample buffer, while it’s no problem with PCIe card which netted an overall input to output of 6 ms. That would be a latency reduction of 68% by using an optimal buffer for the PCIe card and the required (larger 512 sample) buffer for the USB ASIO. I’m still exploring… but happy with the results.

1 Like