Latency?

Hello!

I’m about to buy ur242. I will use it mostly with softsynts and wonder what the latency can get down to? Today with my pci soundcard with an asio buffer set to 256 at 44 khz it get down to 5,8 ms.
What about ur242?

KA

Answer:
About the same latency

Its a hard to answer question thou… because we will need YOUR exact older Processor and setup to give you a real answer.

Or we would need both soundcards to show our latencies…

Simple answer is “about the same” thou
from my i7 3rd gen laptop running the UR series USB audio devices.

Thanks for your answer!

Ok, I guess the latency will be low enough.

KA

Latencywise the Steinberg Interfaces are the worst I have ever had.

I personally could do no softwaremonitoring though them.

On projects that can run with 64 samples buffer with my RME Fireface UFX I have to use at least 128 on the UR 824 AND The UR 824 has at 128 samples a higher real measured latency than the RME with 256 samples.
The only reason I have not sold the UR already is that at the moment I use it only connected to the RME via Adat as a simple AD Converter…

Well, the Fireface costs as much as three UR824s (the Steinberg interface you reference) and twelve times as much as the UR 242 (as per the OP’s post), and RME are generally considered the testicules du chien when it comes to drivers, so I would expect the RME unit to outperform the UR series in terms of latency. To say the Steinberg interfaces are ‘the worst you’ve ever had’ in terms of latency, you would have to say what other interfaces you have knowledge of for this to be anything other than a quantifiably useless comment.

I love my UR824s.

Steve.

I get around what latency I have (mostly vocals) by using direct monitoring. It use a dry signal but that might not work in every situation or singer though. But realistically about the only way to fight latency issues is faster processing and plenty of RAM. A Seperate outboard mixer with its own mic for vocals is what many are doing.

I’ve just set up a hardware effects rack so i can have direct monitoring with effects and still record a dry signal. Lil complicated in the set up but it works.

Mic goes into interface 1, out the send on the back (or make a Y cable), into effects rack mono/left in, out effects rack stereo/L&R into 2nd interface (or another 2 inputs on 1st interface), Headphones plugged into second interface. In the audio interface mixer control set up to direct monitor the stereo inputs.

Now Cubase can record a dry mono signal and a stereo wet signal at the same time. It’s handy to have the effects used whilst recording as a reference. The effects rack is USB controlled as an added bonus and if the recording session effects are preferred but need a lil fine tuning, simply load it up as an external fx in Cubase and resend the dry vocal through it. I’ve done this using the Spdif as to not need to rewire anything.