Latency

Hi

just loaded the latest update and noticed that the latency has increased a lot between Dorico and Vienna ensemble pro 7. Even though the audio card buffer is still at 256 The latency on short strings is now so bad I cant play the part. I have to play it on a piano ( vst in dorico ) then copy and paste…is this a thing or am I going nuts ?

Is anyone else having this issue. It wasn’t present before

best

e

There’s been no change to the audio engine between Dorico 4.0.20 and Dorico 4.0.30/31, so I’m not sure what could account for that. It’s not something anybody else has yet reported, to my knowledge, either.

I can’t find any difference. Is this with all libraries or a specific one?

It’s on one specific VEP pro7 instance, basically ALL the strings. If I create a new VEP mixer and and a syncron player and route Dorico to it the latency has gone. But on that particular instance it’s there. Change the buffer size does nothing. Also Dorico now tries to load up new instances of VEP pro…whereas before this update it obeyed the “decoupled” selection. , Now it ignores this and loads new VEP pros for everything !

best

e

are you able to go back to a previous Dorico version to check if that still works OK, by any chance using that same template. My VEPro templates (which usually use a BBCSO + a little VSL or Cinematic Studio with VSL percussion) have never had any latency in inputting with step input.

Mostly I work in “decoupled mode”. I’ve occasionally also had Dorico open new instances when I wasn’t expecting it but there was always some mistake in my messing around. If you simple open and fully load the VEP template, then start the Dorico project, it certainly shouldn’t start new instances. is it possible that the last saved state was not decoupled? That’s a mistake I have been known to make on occasion.

I’ll try that. No it was definitely de-coupled as this is from a template I made. But it’s not loading up the same way since the update. And now ( for instance ) if I create a new empty score and add instruments it adds instances…even though it’s clearly de-coupled !

best

e

ok

so even when de-coupled adding instruments or re-loading template always triggers a new instance in VSL-Pro…very odd

e

IS there somewhere else OTHER than the VSL plug in boxes and the VSL program to activate de-couple ?..just to check i’m not doing something silly

e

SO This version of Dorico always seems to want to launch a NEW instance of VSL, even when it’s clearly de-coupled.

Am I doing something wrong ?

best

e

So I deleted it, Made a new endpoint config. Made a new template from that, applied and closed and it did it again !

best

e

unfortunately, I’m still finding this a bit hard to follow. You say it’s always adding a new instance. Is this always an additional copy of the last one in the list? Certainly if a new score has any instruments which are not on your playback template, then Dorico will create a new instance to enable giving it a channel. This is expected. I’m not aware of anything you need to do to decouple an instance in VEP other than clicking on the icon which you’ve obviously done.

It would be best to post a demo project with just one VEP instance and the accompanying VEP config file using a library I already own if at all possible such as the BBC. This way I could see directly what’s going on.

Uploading: Dorico Diagnostics.zip…
So even though I am using a Template that pre-dates 4, when i open a new score from that saved template ( or create one from scratch ) it always adds two more instances of VEpro. Though the names are the same and they are empty. All I have to do is delete them, the VST slots and then direct the correct slots to the correct isntances. I didn’t hacve to do this before this update…hence the confusion.

best

e

I’m afraid the diagnostics file is only for developers and is unlikely to be relevant here anyway.

I wish I could understand exactly what you’re doing. My procedure is simply a) open VEP server project and allow to load patches b) open Dorico project. Whether the project is decoupled or not basically means whether the VEP project data is saved to Dorico in addition or not. Decoupled makes for smaller files but you need to ensure the VEP server configuration is saved after any changes. Probably this is all obvious. I’d create two copies of a project, one which is decoupled and one not just to make sure you’ve done it right (check the filesize)

The way I work at present with VEP is to load all the instruments into 3-4 instances of VEP (one for each orchestral section) which I am likely to use with this configuration. If you tend to have largely similar orchestrations this can be a good approach as it doesn’t matter if one or extra instruments are loaded - all that means is that the relevant channels are empty. If you use instruments in a new score which are not in your template then a new instance is automatically added in Dorico. There’s nothing to stop VEP adding extra instances if Dorico has created them as an instance can only be decoupled after you’ve specifically set it that way and you can’t do that until it’s been created! I’m 99% sure that there is no difference between the current and older Dorico versions – you have somehow accidentally changed something.

So, if you create a new Dorico project by doing nothing more than saving the current one under a new name and then deleting the contents, is it OK then? That’s perhaps the safest. Otherwise you need to provide a step by step as to exactly what you’re doing or better provide an absolute minimum test version of a project together with the VEP server project. Ideally that’s just one instance using a library I also have such as the VSL solo strings (either VI or Synchron) or the BBC. If I --or someone else out there – can reproduce, then it should be fixable.

Hi

don’t know what else to add really. If I go back a version it doesn’t happen, Anything loaded in the new version adds empty instances when they are not needed. Given the same names. But empty. I just delete them and re-assign the VST…and I’m off and running. Didn’t need to do that.

And this happens on ANY score. So anything I have saved that was fine…now loads up with empty instances and extra slots

best
e

best

e

ok, so you definitely find even that reopening an existing score in 4.0.31 can produce this, whereas opening with an older version still doesn’t. Do you still have an older version installed to cross-check? It’s important to be clear on this point as so far, I haven’t see anything odd with 4.0.31 compared to,say, 3.5 where most of my VEP projects were created.

it happens only in the latest update. If it doesn’t happen to you…then it’s obviously something inherent in my setup. There seems to be some data in my template or sessions or endpoint config that even when de-couples asks for a new instance…

best

e