LE 6 to AI7

First of all, what is the difference between LE and AI. I could not find the answer to this with a google search. If they are the same, why do they have different names. I bought a NI audio interface that came with LE6. I have used it a little and have thought about upgrading to Elements. but I am seriously looking at the Yamaha MX 61 keyboard and it comes with AI7. So what is difference between LE and AI, and what will happen to my LE 6 if I put AI7 on. Do I need to delete LE6. Does it just integrate (blend in) with LE6. will I have problems with “competing” DAWS. I am quite new to this so I appreciate your help and patients Thanks.

Hello Dksucharda,

Cubase LE and AI are both OEM (Original Equipment Manufacture) versions of our software. The differences between just LE and AI are subtle, and the most common difference is the LE is packaged with 3rd party hardware companies, such as (Native Instruments, ZOOM, Focusrite etc) and AI is only packaged with either Steinberg or Yamaha hardware. There are a few differences between version numbers like LE or AI 6 or LE/AI 7 in that ver. 7 contains a new Mix Console view and ways to view the Mix Console vs the older style Mix Console found in previous version of LE/AI. As long as your operating system is compatible with both you, for instance Windows 7. Both LE6 and AI7 can coexist on the same computer with no issue. You can open your LE6 .cpr project files in AI7 but an AI7 .cpr will not open in LE6. I hope this brings a little clarity to the question. Please let me know if you need further explanation.

Joel,
Thank you so much for responding and answering my question. That actually helps quite a bit. I assume if I get a Yamaha MX 61 and AI7 comes with it, the upgrade from AI7 would be to cubase 7 elements. Is that correct. Am I also correct that the upgrade from LE is also Cubase 7 Elements. In other words, whether one has AI or LE, both are limited versions, and the next step up would be Elements. Correct? My only other question is I received a limited version of guitar rig, Kontact,and Reaktor with Cubase LE. I assume if I were to get AI7 or even upgraded to Cubase Elements 7 I could still use those other 3 programs from native instruments. I think my plan will be to get rid of Cubse LE 6 and use AI7 with plans to upgrade to Elements. I really dont have any music saved or recorded in LE6 that I care about. I have just been messing around and learning in LE6. And again thank you for your help and time.

Hello Dksucharda,

Sorry for the late reply, and you may have already figured this out but yes Elements 7 is the next progression out of the OEM LE or AI versions of software. Any VST plug-in you can access in LE or AI 6 or 7 should be usable in Elements 7 as well.

Thanks for your help once again. Last question. I am currently using LE6 as previously mentioned on a PC (toshibia to be specific). When upgrading AI to elements I will be putting it on my toshibia. However, I may in the future I may ultimately have a MAC that I use only for my music recording. If/when I get the MAC computer will the Cubase Elements software that I paid for work on the MAC or will I have to buy a new version. Also, will previous recordings saved on my toshibia be able to be transferred over to MAC where I can play them and adjust the songs (add tracks, add effects, change the mixing, etc…)I do realize that there is now Cubase 8. I assume I can still upgrade from LE6 to Elements 8, or is this not recommended? I am just trying to do some planning for the future and prevent problems. Although, I have been accused of over thinking situations. I realize I need to not over analyze any more than I already have and just get the stuff so I can learn MY system and get on with learning and recording. Again thank you for your time.

Hello Dksucharda,

Cubase Elements 8 is supported on both current Windows 8 or higher and Mac (OSX) 9 and higher. So currently if you purchase a Mac within the foreseeable future 6-12 months, a license for Cubase Elements 8 should easily be compatible and will be able to open projects originally created on your Windows computer. If and when you do purchase a new computer, if you’re license is on a Soft-eLicenser (SeL), you’ll need to reactivate your license for the new computer.

If you need to reactivate your registered license(s) on a new Soft-eLicencer (SeL) after a computer crash, a corrupt SeL or after purchasing a new computer please download the latest eLicenser Control Center (eLCC) for your OS (Mac or PC) to your refreshed or new computer.

*This should provide a new Soft-eLicneser (SeL)

Then log into your MySteinberg account.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/mysteinberg.html

Next, after you have logged into your MySteinberg account look under My Products>eLicensers and select your former registered Soft-eLicenser. Then on the right click the down arrow that says “Show Details”, and click the Red Button that says “Software Reactivation”.

You will be given the option to select the Soft-eLicenser you intend to reactivate. After you have selected the (SeL) you wish to reactivate, you will be asked to enter your new Soft-eLicenser number.

To copy a Soft-eLicenser number, open the eLicenser Control Center (eLCC) which can be found in the “Program Files” (Windows) or “Applications” (Mac) folder. Select “Registration” from the top menu, choose the 20-digit Soft-eLicenser number and click on “Copy Serial Number”.

After you have entered your new Soft-eLicenser number, click “Reactivate”. This will provide you with new 32 character activation code(s) for any license you had registered to the previous Soft-eLicenser.

To activate the new license code(s) on your Soft-eLicenser, open the eLicenser Control Center (eLCC) which can be found in the “Program Files” (Windows) or “Applications” (Mac) folder. Click on the green “Enter Activation Code” button to enter or paste your code. A valid code entry automatically displays the license to be downloaded below.

If you need more visual instructions here is a link to a video over viewing this process: