Lead Sheet Layout

Allow me to say again, quoting myself from a couple of days ago:

I don’t think we should have features for hiding clefs or key signatures in order to stop them appearing in the preamble at the start of each system: we should simply have options for this.

As these features don’t yet exist, it makes trying to replicate an established style like this very difficult though.

If they do get implemented, I would also like to request that they can handle situations like the example below. In exercise books and jazz pattern books, there is a style where cautionaries are unnecessary as the pattern or exercise follows a mathematical formula, and the cautionaries only clutter up the page as the intended notes and key sigs are clear without them. I would hope that any hiding mechanism implemented would also be able to hide the cautionary key sigs marked in red below. Using a Coda or a new flow for every single system in handouts or books like this is very slow and tedious. The ability to simply hide the cautionary key sigs would be very welcome here.

1 Like

That topic has been done to death.

I know, but your very first post in that thread is

Haven’t we presented many different circumstances where we need to hide these items in this thread? Sure, some of these are possible with flows, but if I have an 18 page II-V booklet like the above, where each pattern takes up 4 systems, and I have 50 patterns, that means I need to create 200 separate flows in Dorico?! That is terribly inefficient for something that is one-click Select All / Hide Cautionary Clefs, Key, and Time Signatures in Finale. Obviously you disagree, but we have presented many different real-world circumstances where this ability is needed here. Perhaps you will come up with a more ingenious way of a implementing a solution to these situations other than a simple Hide command, but I do hope some sort of solution is being considered.

1 Like

In that situation, the method that other users have described of using hidden codas (with indents set to 0) to hide cautionaries could be of use? Especially given that you can select then Alt-click a coda signpost to other positions quickly.

Thanks Lillie! That’s exactly how I usually do it. In fact I use Codas way more often as a workaround to hide items than I actually use them as Codas, LOL. I was just pointing out what the “official” workflow was. As audio export is flow based, I tend to think of flows as more on the macro scale than micro. Anything I might want to export as one wav or mp3, like a single piece in a collection, single movement of a piece, etc, I use flows. For other workarounds I use Codas.

Just in case you’ve missed it, it appears that Dorico for iPad has Notation Options for hiding clefs and key signatures beyond the first system. Just sayin’ :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

maybe Steinberg should provide a template for this :slight_smile:

Hi pianoleo,

thank you very much for this update – I would have missed that otherwise…
I’ll check it out soon. Maybe this is good news also for a new Dorico Desktop release in the near future?
Greetings from Berlin, Philip

It has been several times mentioned by the developers in this forum that Dorico for iPad contains features which Dorico 3.5 doesn’t yet have, but which will be present in Dorico 4 for Desktop. Even so far as saying they want to implement touch-screen features for windows convertibles.

1 Like

Thank you for this option in D4, this is great!

2 Likes

In Dorico 4, under Library/Notation Options/Clefs, simply check Hide Clefs to only show Clef for 1sr Bar. Same with Key Signature.

1 Like

I also like very much this new addition with D4, hiding clefs, but there is still a little problem with the left repeat Barline not being aligned correctly with the start of the system, see below, bar 7:

The thick barline should align with the start of the system.

It’s also worth mentioning that the clef and key sig were typically shown on the first system of all additional pages in hand copied parts as well. From the Ken Williams book, page 84.

That way the player could just glance up to the top of the page to make sure they had the right key sig rather than have to skim through the entire arrangement to up to that point to catch any key sig changes.

I assume this is fairly complicated due to the casting off, and the fact that adding the clef and key sig may change the casting off, but that is the “correct” way to do this style.