learning how write voices

Hello to everyone!

Sorry, I am sure this has been covered many times but I cannot find how to solve it.

Someone please show me how to transform this guitar part to look more like it is in the piano part:

to this kind of notation in term of voicings

Thank you in advance!

Select the F#, right click, then select Voice > Change Voice > Downstem Voice 1.
Select the G, right click, then select Voice > Change Voice > Downstem Voice 2 (or if there’s no Downstem Voice 2 showing in the menu, do New Downstem Voice).

Hi Pianoleo! Thank you for helping me out.

Do you know how can I make the A and the G be the same voice?

Select the A, then look down at the bottom of the screen - the status bar should tell you what voice it’s in.
Then select the G, right-click, Voice > Change Voice > Whatever Voice the A is in.

And I would recommend you to use the voice colours (enabled in View menu), it is really helpful to see which note belongs to which voice.

Hi,

To beggin with i would advise to choose to show the voice colors.

1. Select the f sharp and change it to the same voice as the f natural (down stem voice 1 i guess).
  2. Select the g and change it to a new down stem voice.
    that’s it
    changing voices.gif
    Note that Dorico moves the voice column indices (when needed) to make clear that there are two or more voices in the staff. Since that is common in guitar notation i think is important to understand how the voice column index work (Engrave mode).
    In these little example when you change the f sharp to the down stem voice 1, the voice with the the g and a is moved to the voice column index 1 (that is made automatically by Doricos algorithm and, althougth the voice column index has changed, the propertie is not active, if you activate the propertie it will change to 0, try and see the diference)
    Now when you move the g to a new down stem voice, the g and a, now in different voices, are moved back to the voice column index 0 but the f sharp is moved to the voice colum index 1.

If you want to see the rests in all different voices, you should select “show every rest in each voice” in Notation options > Rests > Rest Positioning (you can of course remove any rest you do not want to show).

I hope this helps

Regards
Rafael

I see that Leo and Marc have already answer the question, but i want to share anyway my commentar about voice column indices.

Oh man! What a fantastic Dorico community we have!!!
Thank Leo, Mark, and Rafael. I just learned with your tips how to deal with voices which I have not deal with yet.

I am very greatful for your quick response. I managed to get this result.

Best regards,
Carlos