Lenghtening/Shortening Hyphens

See Dokument Getting Started with Note Input – Dorico
Im trying to lenghtening the hypens in a worksheet. Im using hyphens in the Lyric Popover.
They are too short

They need to be longer
In the instructions
Add text frames to ask the students to label each note – maybe use the Lyrics feature to add a
hyphen under each note and reposition the hyphens using Engraving Options Ctrl + Shift + E
(Windows) Cmd + Shift + E (Mac) in the Lyrics section. Tip: in the Lyrics popover use Alt +
Shift + _ to make a longer underscore and in Engraving Options set the minimum distance to
5 spaces or more
Well I cant extend the hyphen its only on handle. Am I missing something!

/Mikael

Use an Em-dash character instead. Or two.

Can you replace the hyphen with an M-dash?
(Great minds think alike, @benwiggy ? :rofl:)

The instructions you picture suggest using an underscore. Maybe 2 or 3?

For this, I always use an underscore character (or three, maybe) as a text item. Then I just copy-paste it to each needed location.

You could also use lyrics and just place “_____” as each fake lyric, and then tell Dorico to not display verse numbers.

Underscores are intended for elisions, and I just found you can’t type more than one in a row. It will display as ͜ no matter what. An M-dash (—) will work, however.

Thanks.-) I try the all :slight_smile:

Im on an swedish keybord!

This happen when I use an Em Dash Mdash

Text object is really the way here. Easy to copy-paste large chunks of them as well.

Just for reference, here’s what happens when you use two long dashes “——“ as lyrics. (Alt/option+shift+hyphen, on Mac). And by “long dash” I mean the third, and longest gradation of dashes: - – —

(And I stand corrected that underscores (even multiple together) do not work.)

One other “character” that might be useful is the Unicode “straightness” character. Its code point is U+23E4. Some fonts do not include it, but it worked when I tried entering it as a lyric using Dorico’s default Lyrics Font, Academico.

To enter it, you will need to enable Unicode Hex Input. As I am not a Windows user I don’t know how on Windows, but on Mac the procedure is as follows:

1. Open System Preferences > Keyboard > Input Sources
  2. Click the “+” button at the lower left (under the list of currently-enabled keyboard layouts) and then locate “Unicode Hex Input” - on my system (10.13.6) it is under “Others”. Select it and click “Add”.
  3. Select it in the list of keyboard layouts - this enables it.
  4. If it is not checked already, check the box to “Show Input menu in menu bar”.

To use it for entering Unicode hex characters (again, this is for Mac but Windows will have an equivalent procedure):

1. Go into Dorico. Before doing anything else, check that the Unicode Hex Input layout is active in Dorico - if not, choose it from the Input menu in the menu bar (usually it will be a flag to indicate the language).
  2. In Dorico, go into Write mode, select the note where the lyrics begin and open the Lyric popover (shift-B).
  3. Hold down the alt/option key and enter +23E4, then release the alt/option key.
    (You might find that it still works by typing just 23E4 ie, without the + at the start)
  4. Press Space to advance to the next note.

Rather than entering each one using the described method, it is possible to copy this “lyric text” and paste it to other notes, including more than one at a time.

The first screenshot shows the default position when entered. In the second picture I moved the lyric line upwards in Engrave mode to give a clearer indication of the length and alignment of the “straightness” character compared to a leger line on a middle C. While the length cannot be altered, the character itself can be nudged sideways in Engrave mode if more exact alignment is needed. If it needs to be longer and thicker (or vice versa), in Engrave mode choose Engrave from the main menu bar, then Font Styles. Choose Lyrics Font and alter the size there.

Normal text entry will/should work while the Unicode Hex Input keyboard layout is active, but once the need for Unicode hex input is finished it is recommended that return to your normal keyboard layout so as to avoid unexpected things happening.

Moved

Thanks for all suggestions. I go through and try them. For now I use textframes .

Its a bit tricky as the textpopover hide the notes. Im using the spacebar for position./Mikael

The trouble with using a text frame is that the note spacing and the text spacing need aligning separately.

Text objects attached to the notes will move with the notes.