Lets Compare Our Cubases

Lets compare how our computers handle Cubase 10.

I have created a project with 24 retrologue channels, each of them has same cubase stock effects.

i did this test at 128 samples buffer size.

my setup:
steinberg UR22MKII interface.
i7-8700K, 32GB ram, 2TB ssd m.2, Gigabyte Z390 gaming X.

please run this project on your systems at 128 samples buffer size, and post a screenshot of ASIO performance meter.

in my screenshot i also marked where asio performance meter is while the projects is playing.
Cubase10Test.rar (71.3 KB)

.rar is corrupt

I open the RAR just fine but right now I don’t have the time to load it into Cubase 10? I’ll try to report later?

just tried re-downloading and unraring from here, seems ok

Here’s mine, pecs are in my signature…

Here’s mine. I’ve got an i7 5820k running stock (3.4 GHz turbo) and 32 GB DDR4 at 2133 MHz.

I even tried it with the buffer at 64. The average barely went up, and the real-time peaks got up to about 25% max.

You must have a bad driver and/or something in the background hogging a lot of CPU cycles.
Cubase10Test playing.png
Cubase10Test paused.png

Here’s without asio guard:

Hmm, so my system isn’t too too bad, I was worried something is wrong with my configuration.
Coming from first generation i7-920 I was expecting that these new CPUs will need hundreds of heavy tracks to overload them

You have got 2 more cores and a littles extra clock over your 720
About 50% increase on what you had.

I would be worried why on some of your posts it shows cpu at 21% yet Cubase maxed out
That’s a bad set up for what you need

Your target should be imo as follows

If really low latency is your goal you need fast processing which tends to mean small number of cores running fast.

For raw DAW power you need lots of core which tends to run slower both due to heat and core/thread synchronisation issues

Decide which is you goal and purchase the right basic machine for that task.

Either way your getting the balance right when your getting the Cubase performance meter showing very high on the non real time part of the meter and head room on the real time part and CPU is 90% or more at the same time on all threads/ cores with clean output and a still swiftly responsive graphics, mouse and other controllers at the minimum latency you can work with.

Hippo

The pic is with 32 bit float Processing Precision and 128 samples buffer size. I tryed play with buffer at 64, 32 and 16, and work well. With buffer at 8 impossible. With 64 bit float Processing Precision is imposible to play with buffer at 128 (I need at least 256).
Prueba Rendimiento Cubase 10.jpg

Wowowowoww. I try the same with Cubase Pro 9.5 and the difference is dramatic. This version work hard better! The pic with the same configuration, 32 bit and buffer at 128. With Cubase 9.5 I can play with buffer at 8 with no problems. I haven’t tryed with 64 bit float Processing Precision.
Prueba Rendimiento Cubase 9.5.jpg

This is mine. I was surprised.

It’s difficult to tell given the screenshots are all different but how many of the Tracks playing are Rec Enabled?

Some of the screenshots seem to suggest differing number of Rec Enabled tracks which will change the number of tracks actually causing Real Time load if ASIO Guard is active.

That would be comparing Apples and Oranges, and indeed multiple Rec enabled tracks would be unusual.

Just thought I would makes this suggestion if indeed folks are looking to make comparisons.

I ran the project as is. I only loaded the performance monitor and hit play. If there are differences in each test than it is the project doing it, though I don’t see how.

Should people be giving their system specs?

Of course

Wow that’s really good. What are your computer specs ?

Remember that the ASIO Meter only tells a roughly what performance is used.
I have had projects that show 75% utilization and I could double the tracks and plugins, now only showing 5% more.
That is of cause a rather unusual behavior, but it has happened a few times.

Double the test
6800k (6 core 12 thread) Steinberg ur44 at 128 buffer
All smooth no glitches