Lets Talk KeyCommands... (Cubase 10 Amendments)

I bought an iPad just to get this. Not only can you assign Key Commands to pads, you can also assign Macros and Logical Editor Presets. Also you can create macros on the Metagrid that combine all three of the above.

I’ve done quite a lot of this with Autohotkey. e.g. I use it to make a key command that switches between the A/B settings of an open plugin window, which cannot be done with standard Cubase key commands (unless they’ve added it in 9.5 - I haven’t checked).

Anyway… I think key command use in general is the number one way to speed up your work,

Anyone serious about key commands just needs to buy metagrid for iPad. Game changer.

Yeah they seem good… there’s little chance i’ll be adding anything extra to my set up. I like to utilise what is already there.

I like these, good ideas. Thanks. :slight_smile:

I’m sure I’ll do these, too, this year. I’m sold, I’m just not ready buy. :slight_smile: heh

Great document, thank you.

Thanks… I was hoping to get some insight on other users favourites and reasoning. Still quite a few I’m undecided on.

It is pretty dependent on each individual’s workflow. Every so often I scan the available Key Commands and always discover something that didn’t used to seem useful in the past but now does.

I keep going back to one of SunTower’s “annual requests” which is that the Key Commands show when you mouse-over different things. I see the same process. The command lists suggests ways to edit or create tracks. :slight_smile:

with the new version i’ve set = to reset meters… it’s a must when mixing

Totally. And, I’m seriously interested in that work flow… I just watch a video last night and stumble on the ‘Hold Ctrl Mouse Wheel’ I’d seen this done before but wasn’t sure what the user was doing, it makes my zoom mod totally redundant and is infinitely better way to work. i’d of not of learned this otherwise.

Discussing keycommands etc, can help us speed up speeding up workflow.

Same as ‘Sample Replace’ this is an AWESOME feature almost completely hidden to users.

Good choice. I added reset meters, It’s very important. I’d like it to reset all the VST’s meters too. I used #. =/- are increase/decrease Quantise size. I used = instead of + to avoid having to press shift.

Where is that located in the keycommands categories? I have a different language and can´t seem to find it

SELECT NEXT GRID TYPE in Edit… It’s on my PDF, an essential for sure. I use ¬ key (left of all the numbers). I use shift ¬ to skip through Snap Types.

My NEW favourite is ‘|’ key (Shift )… ‘Snap Point to Cursor’. For too many years I’ve struggled zooming in and out to grab the snap point and drag it to where i want it in the audio file, not no more. This is an ESSENTIAL speedy workflow Key Command, one surely fit for the ‘Ultimate’ list.

Snap Point to Cursor - very very useful.

Ever since I used Premier Pro I’ve reprogrammed the = and - for zoom in and out :slight_smile: Way better than g and h.

I also reprogrammed most of the cursor tools so I can edit quickly with the left hand while the right hand does the mouse, e.g. 1=pointer, 2=scissors, 3=mute, 4=audition. I’ve also got rewind set as the ` key which is top left of the keyboard for me, so I can quickly rewind with my left hand during editing - saves a whole bunch of time I find.

Some great tips here, keep them coming!!

Mike.

I don’t think :confused: anyone has pointed out yet that you can assign Key Commands to any Macros or Logical Editor Presets you create. This lets you do some very powerful stuff with a single key stroke.

Also I’ve always been able to remember the KCs that I use all the time, but the ones used less often are easy to forget. I tried to solve this by keeping a list of KCs I wanted to learn/use more often. Problem was that it was often easier to mouse through the menus than find the KC in the list (or find the list buried on my desk under who-knows-what). So it wasn’t a very effective way to introduce additional KCs into my workflow. Then I came up with an approach that really worked for me.

First I built a spreadsheet table of KCs grouped in a way that made sense to me so I could easily find them. Then instead of printing the table (so it could get lost on my desk) I used the Windows Snipping Tool to make a graphic of it. Then I used that graphic as my Windows Desktop background. Now it’s always easily available either on a monitor without anything on it, or if all the monitors are in use moving the mouse to the lower right corner of monitor 1 lets me peek at the Desktop.

EDIT:
Here’s my current Desktop, which is not close to current.

I like the background graphic idea!! Another quick way of looking at the desktop graphic is to create a 2nd desktop (click Win+Tab and use the + sign) and then use Ctrl-Win-RightCursorKey and Ctrl-Win-LeftCutsorKey to swap desktops. If desktop 2 is kept clear then will show the desktop graphic.

Mike.

Wow, that’s pretty cool. Didn’t know you could have more than one desktop. Could you have 2 instances of Cubase running on different desktops?