License management and the future of the eLicenser – changes ahead

Ilok is the best of all worlds.

1 Like

I did. Authorizing to, and plugging in a dongle is NOT easier than having the software authorized on two computers. You still need to plug in and out and carry the dongle between two computers. Opposed to just having to boot the DAW on both computers, and even being able to use Cubase on both computers simultaneously. You don’t even need to swap the license.

I’m surprised we even discuss about this.

Because obviously your a new breed and what everything to suit you while the vast majority have never had an issue with the dongle and prefer it

2 Likes

What vast majority? I looked at all the comments and beside 3-4 guys like you, we have other 10-15 that are afraid of subscription and around 20 that are happy about the change. I also had a look on the Steinberg’s Facebook page and it seems like a big party :joy:

2 Likes

What you seem to forget about the Steinberg forum is people only come here with issues , not all users frequent the forum ,actually the majority DON’T so you little tally up is completely irrelevant and concerning FB all the Cubase facebook groups are people that just love to troll or cause a stir anyway so again no true reflection on how people feel about the issue , but now there is an issue regarding not knowing whats going to happen to our very long term licences all the people with no issues will start making them selves known once they catch wind of this , believe me the majority of users love the dongle otherwise Steinberg IMO would’nt of became the power house that it is today .

3 Likes

Total nonsense.

Apart from that, I meant that I wondered why we even discuss about “normal” C/R being less work than plugging the dongle in every time you want to switch computers. Heck, you can’t even transfer back the license you transferred to the USB eLicenser back into the soft eLicenser. It’s even worse than iLok.

You actually wright. I am here since December when I bought Cubase and could not installed because of the dongle.

How do you know? Do you keep track of everything what’s illegally available?

I was a systems analyst programmer for 15 years. I used the technology of the dongle. I know the concept and the weaknesses of the systems.

The weakness of the iLok is that all applications can also be run through the iLok software licensor. Cubase 11 Pro and Nuendo 11 cannot be run in the software eLicenser, so they cannot be cracked without a lot of effort. But the very next update would have to be cracked again.

The sample library of VSL would now also have to run in the iLok software licenser (because of its concept), so VSL will inevitably appear on Torrent sooner or later just like all other software running there.

It is inevitable, I don’t need to observe anything more.

I used to use cracked software when I was younger (who hasn’t?). The hassle to avoid installing malware these days would be enough for me to avoid warez at all costs. IF I had the intention to use them, which I haven’t. One day, you wake up, and you’re mature enough to see that everything in this world is built on the sweat of people investing a lot of time and effort, and ambition do good things for others.

Purchased software also has a whole different status for me. To know that you bought something from your own money, which you have worked for to earn it, is completely different to mindlessly consume, and get everything you crave for for free. Maybe these stupid people will even learn that one day. I’m doubtful most of them will ever learn though.

I completely agree with you. The only problem I see with the dongle at the moment is that it is still based on USB 2.0. A USB-C based dongle would be up-to-date and could be used by both MAC and PC users easely. The dongle would be very fast, cause little latency and, thanks to fast data storage, security features would be conceivable that are not feasible with USB 2.0.

1 Like

I presumed they loved the software not the dongle? That’s an eye opener, wow!

Of course, Logic Pro was also dongle protected - back when it was hugely popular. Worst thing they done was making it more available and simple to install. What a stupid decision.

In fact, does anyone even use Logic now it has to be authorised online? I presume everyone just ran away(?)

1 Like

On Facebook, you are more likely to find beginners than professionals, elements users who don’t need a hardware dongle anyway, the new smartphone youth, etc. Cubasis …

1 Like

I don’t have any issues atm with eLicenser, I found it rather convenient as I’ve replaced my DAW PC lately.
That said, ideally I would prefer seeing these in the new licensing scheme:

• No internet connection required from DAW pc (even sporadically)
  • No Challenge / Response.
  • No subscription whatsoever (which is already assured, awesome!)
  • Multiple activations on multiple PCs would be a super-cool addition.
  • I don’t want to be instructed what/how/when to do something (upgrade, refresh, reconnect, anything)
  • Nothing is required to be status quo.

Thanks.

I’m very happy if the dongle will vanish away, BUT ONLY until the new system will permit at least two activations on two computers (if that won’t be directly feasible, I’ll even won’t be extremely disappointed with a priced but strongly discounted second activation).

Anyway, just out of curiosity: why not just extend the soft eLicenser system (but with the addition of the second free or paid and discounted second activation) to all the Steinberg software? Maybe because it’s more piratable?

Have you check them all to see how professional they are or where did you got this info?

I am super excited to hear this. The dongle doesn’t fit in a Surface Book without another dongle. LOL

1 Like

That’s a bit of an elitist attitude to be fair, a paying customer is a paying customer. Being a professional or not has no bearing on whether you ‘like’ a dongle. You basically do what you have to do to use the software, it’s as simple as that.

Also, Based on surveys conducted in the past, most DAWs userbase consisted of less than 10-20% paid professionals. Therefore it’s a fair assumption that the majority of DAW purchases are supported by at least a secondary income - heck, the whole reason audio professionals are struggling is due to the availability of audio software to the masses anyway.

Anyway, that aside - As i see it here, there’s 3 sets of people who seem to object:-

1. Those that fear change,
  2. Those who will be genuinely affected, and
  3. Those who don’t want their DAW calling home

I see many from sets 1 & 3, but there’s very few from 2 providing quantifiable reasons as to why they have such strong objections. s

What really throws me though, is anyone willing to spend so much time on forums/social media groups, yet are very aggressive to prevent their DAW connecting to the internet to verify all is legit. (?)

i love my dongle!!! it’s just the right size!

2 Likes

They said no subscription, and no dongle, and not always connected to the internet. If that’s the case, I’m buying C11. This will open the door to a lot people moving to Cubase.