License Server Down - Last call for an official statement

Kein literally means not one. Can mean there isn’t one, or it isn’t one. Presuming AC means Activation Code. Maybe they will notice and check, maybe the shop failed to insert the codes into the activation server.

Seems someone refilled it with some fresh air liquid
:smiley:

Completely agree with this. Having the same problem. Made an account just to say this.

Was debating for hours whether to make the plunge and get the upgrade due to the cost…

Very disappointed in Steinberg!

Shame on Steinberg. You Steinberg, have, roughly, ONE big release per year (Cubase is the top seller) and you (Steinberg) are not ready to offer more servers and help to your customers! 24 hours of wait are enough

Users continually retrying and getting in a panic is also a big factor into the problems. If it’s down, and everyone just waited 30 minutes between retries it would’ve eased up much quicker.

Yet people are so quick to start yelling about how unprofessional it is, claiming they’re being scammed, or that Steinberg have ‘lost’ their license. Really OTT reactions.

But then it seems everyone is suddenly a professional studio owner who have all this work queued up, and they can’t operate. I mean come on, quit the lies and over-reaction. If you’re rushing out without precaution to just throw an update on your system in the first hours of release, you ain’t operating as a professional, you’re just impatient and/or incredibly curious!

Also, people thinking that increasing the servers is the solution, this isn’t a content delivery system which can mirror data to be fetched and scaled as load increases. It’s a central license database that exists as a two way (read/write) process, by it’s very nature of being central it means that replication becomes more complicated than a simple mirroring/duplication of how a fixed content server would operate.

There’s been a few reps from Steinberg on this forum who’ve said a new E-Licenser is being worked on, so can understand why they wouldn’t undertake a grand maintenance/overhaul on the existing configuration.

There’s also a middle point, imo: i.e. I’m a composer, I’ve got deadlines on some projects, but still yeah, I’m curious and willing to update, especially when I see features that would greatly help me just with the projects that I’m on right now. For example, in this case, I was very pleased to read about the stem exporting enhancement, so I thought “yeah that’s what I’d need right now with the stuff I’m doing, as it would speed up my process!”. so yeah, I don’t think everybody is working 24/7, but also I don’t think that you want to have so much time to waste on boring studio issues. Also, nobody knew much about it, I spoke with an agent in a chat, and he said that servers went down and they’re working on it, which means nothing. This simply makes people worried, it’s not a war against Steinberg, it’s just a simple reaction to an unknown issue that’s affecting any Cubase owner, and it’s not that hard to realize that nobody would want that.

Have to say, I really appreciated Steinberg President’s apologies via email, at least is a form of respect and willing to make things better next time, which is just the only thing that everybody would hope, since I won’t switch to other competitors anyway.

It’s more the behaviour of people who claim that this happens every year to them, yet they still update within hours of release and go into an absolute panic. Then to top that off, they add that they’re on time critical projects.

I find it hard to believe that any professional is naïve enough to repeatedly go through that process each year, and the whole critical project line is just an excuse to throw weight around. It doesn’t help anyone, if they showed a bit of patience would’ve been the most positive step to make for everyone.

I am really amazed by the fact that while the President of Steinberg has issued a statement apologizing and admitting clearly the fault (much appreciated move)

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=307&t=202314

there are still people here who continue to excuse what can not be defended in any way- and even worst, blame the customers for this failure- :astonished:

I did not know Cubase fanboism is head to head with Ableton even ahead I can say.

Well, yeah, I think you’re probably right about that. This was my first time having this type of issues, and I can’t wait to see what improvements they will implement next year, but of course, I won’t update the same day no more…

It’s as if a portion of Steinberg users live in an alternate universe where there is no such thing as unforeseen technical difficulties.

So is it now working or not? Can I buy and update or not? Steinberg is really bad in announcements.

If you’ve ever had to work from a developer or sysadmin point of view, you too would learn to detest their habits of people continually bashing buttons yelling ‘dont work!’ repeatedly, ignorant that they’re adding the pile. Maybe it’s an illness i have, but it makes my blood boil lol.

The purpose of the forum is this, to share, ideas, help each other and also complain. People at Steinberg are enough clever to understand when a complain is baseless. In this case is not baseless and people that continue to excuse this, blaming the customers, in my opinion, make the worst possible service to Steinberg.

I can accept a moderate statement saying “Would be prudent to avoid the update the first weeks after the release”- I didn’t buy Cubase 11 yet!!! But I can not blame those who did it. I mean it is true that we are impatient and we rush to complain a bit too much sometimes, without even to read the user manual and make a google search… but in this case how can we blame people who lost one working day…for buying a new product who is expected to be tested enough before to be commercialized. The point here is not only that the server was too slow and the update delayed. The point is that the old license was deleted and people could not use their old software and work. Steinberg acted properly, issuing a clear statement and apologizing, with no excuses. People who continue to accuse the customers have lost perspective. They need someon’else to check their mix :wink:

So you find it reasonable for people to come on here pretending that they have time critical work which they can’t perform? Claim that it happens EVERY year to them? And despite that they STILL update within hours of release?

Sorry, but in my opinion, those combined factors points to the user needing to take better responsibility too.

Furthermore, my biggest issue is within the over-reaction, people panicking and continually retrying the servers where they would be better served to just wait 30-60+ mins between tries. That’s just common courtesy for others.

Retrying twice when knowing there’s a problem is tripling the load, i expect many have tried far more than that judging by their reactions and reports of repeatedly trying 4-5 times in a row. At that point, they’re as much of the problem to which they complain.

There’s been claims that people are being scammed, that Steinberg “Don’t care” (Even though their livelihoods depend on this), being ripped off, having their licenses lost/stolen - and it’s all completely untrue and over-reactive.

Basically, as i see it:-
A) Read the advice provided.
B) Don’t add to the problem.
C) Don’t pretend you’re on time critical work to get priority treatment over those who genuinely are.

To quote Alan Watts: “Muddy water is best cleared by leaving it alone”.

I see that you continue to blame the customers :unamused: Ok, let’s admit sometimes people can behave in a better manner, but we should have the honesty to admit that Steinberg here did a mistake and this is the main problem…I can not read a single word from you about that.
It is something happens to everyone soon or later…look the Ferrari car this year…they clearly admitted that there were errors in their project and the car not only didn’t win a single race, but was overcome in some races by the last year Ferrari engine of Alfa Romeo cars…
I don’t think people have fun coming here and inventing issues as their license was deleted. Steinberg employees were honest because they didn’t blame the customers and let everyone post his constructive- or sometimes exaggerated criticism here and they took seriously the complains of their customers as the statement of the President shows. I will continue to use Cubase and recommend it. Anyway I got your point skijumptoes. Now I switch on Cubase and start to work… :slight_smile:

Hey, i’ve never said Steinberg haven’t made any mistakes, any fool can see that this was a balls up. And as explained on these forums before that a new e-licenser technology is being worked on so they can’t justify ploughing resources into the existing system - it’s known to be an issue for them.

Things will always go wrong, I take the stance whereby the best judge is how people/companies react to problems. Their first challenge was to see if they could fix the issues in-house, when that failed they put a notice on here for users to be patient and that issues were ongoing - as a company you can’t jump the gun on these things so of course there’s a lag in regards to statements.

This was then followed with an absolute shower consisting of abuse, lies and threats that were wholly exacerbated.

Has anyone truly lost a license here?
And has anyone truly failed to meet a critical deadline?

I expect not, yet the OTT reaction suggests otherwise. As the dust settles, the true imbalance will be spectacular.

My license appears to be gone as of today. It is gone from my elicenser and from My Products page. Not sure yet what’s going on as Steinberg support is offline over the weekend.

I mean, has it been gone since Nov 11?