Licensing and the Survey

Rather than start a new thead, I think it is worth pointing out here how irritating the dongle is, due to its pulsing red LED. What is the purpose of this pulsing? No other dongles that I have do this and it is particularly difficult to ignore when it is stuck in the side of a laptop – not only for the user, but for others close by who may be able to see it, for instance, in a train or an aeroplane or airport, where people commonly try to catch up with work.

I do not say this to criticise the Dorico developers, as it is clearly due to a Steinberg corporate decision and probably annoys Daniel’s team just as much as it does me; but it is another aspect of the licensing situation that merits a re-evaluation of the needs of customers, rather than Steinberg’s need to protect its intellectual property.

On the question of to dongle or not to dongle, I remember that Magix used to rely on one to protect Samplitude. This has now been abandoned in favour of multiple registrations; but during the time when there was an obligatory dongle for the full program, they made available very cheaply a dongle-less version (Samplitude SE) which was restricted to performing basic tasks, such as one might want to do while on the move. I do not know what Dorico functions would come into this category, but such an option might satisfy those who object to the dongle and also be a way of persuading new users of the value of the full program.

David

The pulsing of the LED is to show when code is being executed on the USB-eLicenser, as far as I know.

May I suggest affixing a narrow strip of opaque tape if the diode in the dongle is causing major disruptions at home or in the airport.

Are you referring to the constant continuous 4 second cycle from dim to brighter and back? This happens as soon as I plug the dongle in, without runnng Dorico.

It flashes brighter and faster when I open Dorico and then resumes its 4 second cycles. Same again when I open a score.
But these addtional flashes only happen when I am connected to tne Internet. Is the dongle calling home when it does this?

David

No, the USB-eLicenser doesn’t call home.

Thanks, Daniel!

A more scientific investigation reveals that the brief dongle flashes that occur when opening or closing Dorico or a Dorico file are the same whether the computer is connected from the Internet or not. Quite why the background 4 second pulse is necessary remains a mystery.

David

AFAIK, If eLc disconnected when Cubase / Nuendo is open, Cubase / Nuendo will show error notice after several seconds.
This made me suspect that the 4 second pulse is to check whether the eLc is keeping on being plugged in.

Hello folks,
been lurking and reading on this and other posts relating to using two copies on two machines by one owner.

It is normal behavior from almost ALL other competing products to have the ability to use one license on a main machine and a laptop (even some OS devices for some). I cannot believe that it has seriously been suggested that I buy another full or half-price license so I can use it on my laptop as well as my studio machine. Then future upgrades will require double fees? NOT. I already have two other notation programs I can take on the road with me. I have no products that are subscriptions (old version of Sibelius), and will not go that route, for now.

I have only the highest respect for the Dan and the Dorico team. I hope that they can argue this through successfully with Steinberg. It is thanks to Steinberg, that we now have Dorico, no?, so I am not angry about this- trying to understand them-
BUT: to have multiple copies on multiple devices properly licensed to one person is the norm now.

“Radical” (in my own deluded imagination) thought : If there was the documented agreement that this WILL change, and early loyal adopters get rewarded with the ability to have multiple copies, I would jump on it. In order to offer up more support, for a reward, seems worth it to me. :sunglasses:
-Istvan

I have to agree this is a major concern for me as well. My 30-day trial is up tomorrow, and I’m buying a license without hesitation. But I do run two machines regularly, and I’ve never had to mess with a dongle before for other software. I lose things with astonishing speed, so a dongle is a recipe for disaster. I’m dreading that part of it.

Finale always allowed two installs. As well as my DAW, Studio One.

It won’t stop me from getting Dorico, since I’m finding the program such a pleasant experience to use. But I’d like to see the licensing model change. Just adding my two cents to the discussion.

See two licences: Pro and Elements - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

I am not in the know, but I would venture a guess: DAW users, like gamers, are notorious for using cracked/hacked versions of recording software, VSTi’s and plugins. Thus vigorous protection in that industry. Steinberg’s product-line before Dorico was entirely in audio recording. Thus the protectionist mindset.

…and music typesetters are not, as a general rule, an unruly and law-breaking bunch. :smiley:

IIRC, I have software that is SINGLE USER, but can float between two computers, so long as both computers are not connected to the internet and using the program at the same time. I know all that means is someone can logon to the computer, disconnect the internet, and use the program, but the principle is there, and good faith is warranted.

Spectrasonics has a self licensing and authentication program for their products, but they also understand that many people just want to be able to use it on their own machines, and so they have good faith measures of deterring people from licensing multiple times.

So, I guess at the end of the day, Steinberg has a couple of choices, one being “live and let live” or “sorry, not sorry.”

Steinberg made their choice months ago, and have publicised it on this very forum. Why are we still having this discussion?!