Licensing question I still do not understand. :?

One cannot help being curious to know why it glows with varying intensity like a cigarette end when no Steinberg programs are running on the computer. :slight_smile:

David

Has this become possible in the mean time? (It has been a while)
I’d (urgently) like to know, as I’m about to travel, and as I have many licenses on my dongle (Cubase, Wavelab, Halion, 3rd party products) I’m not overly keen on taking my valuable dongle along for the trip.
I only need to be able to use Halion from my laptop while I’m on the road, so ideally what I’d like to do is move the Halion license (currently on dongle) to the soft eLicenser on my laptop for the duration of the trip.
Once I’m back home I’d like to move it back to the dongle to be able to work on my main music PC again.
I understand this was not possible in the past but was under discussion - is possible by now? Obviously I want to avoid getting my license stuck on the laptop permanently. :slight_smile:

Kerphelio, you’re on the Dorico forum here, not the Halion forum. I suspect there’s absolutely no change given there’s been no change to Dorico licensing in the past year, but you may have more luck on the Halion forum.

My own suggestion is to keep your dongle on your key ring. That way you’re less likely to lose it (and if you do, you’ve got more to worry about than your software licenses!)

Fair enough, however I’m pretty sure that the matter of how eLicenser works & handles licenses is independent of the product the license is for - and the topic just so happened to be broached in this forum, so that’s why I asked by replying to the existing topic. It’s not just the possibility of losing the dongle, it’s also damaging it or anything else that can happen when you’re sprinting through airports while carrying heavy suitcases or whatever. And it would be enough to worry without the dongle, no point in making it worse. :wink:

In that case, I have a further suggestion: buy a second elicenser (they’re about £22 in the UK; which I guess equates to under 30€ or $) and shift your Halpin license onto it. Take that with you and leave all your other Steinberg licenses at home.

Better still, buy a THIRD elicenser and take that with you too, preferably in a different pocket/bag from the dongle containing your Halion license. Read https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/206532304-Steinberg-Zero-Downtime and acquaint yourself with the steps involved when things do go wrong.