[Sadly...] No playback on my M1 MacBook pro with or without Rosetta - DoricoPro 4.0.10.1044

If I use Rosetta to launch Dorico Pro 4 then I have no issues with playback - both Halion and NotePerformer work well. If I launch Dorico Pro natively (i.e. not under Rosetta), then playback doesn’t work. This is expected for NotePerformer but the included Halion sounds don’t work either. It looks like the included Halion sounds need to be loaded under Rosetta too (or am I missing something?).

Playback is working for me using Dorico 4 natively with the included Halion Sonic SE sounds and Core Audio. I’ve got a 2020 M1 Macbook Pro - are you using an audio interface?

No. MacBook Pro M1 Max (2021).

Have you installed the updated sound content? I believe there’s a specific Halion Sonic installer to make it Apple Silicon native.

Yes, you need HSSE 3.5.0.137.

Interesting. I installed all of the content for Dorico Pro 4 available in the Steinberg download assistant… Unclear where to get the Halion Sonic Installer that’s M1 native. How can I determine the version of HSSE I have? The ‘Steinberg Library Manager’ shows all Halion installations but no versions.

On my desktop, I found the version of HALion installed. It’s 3.5.0.137

But on the M1 laptop, this folder doesn’t even exist.

I wonder if SDA downloaded it correctly but somehow it didn’t install. Could you go to where SDA downloaded it and run the installer yourself? It will be a file called HALion_Sonic_SE_3.5_Installer_mac.dmg which will be in a folder called ~/Downloads/OSX/HALion Sonic SE 3.5.0 - Instrument (recommended). If you open the dmg and then run the pkg inside that might work, or it might at least give us an error message to say what has gone wrong.

BTW, if correctly installed, HALion Sonic SE resides in /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST3/Steinberg

It seems to be there:

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 2.59.52 AM

@tbabcock123 , but look at the Version number. I’m confused…

So what version should have been installed? On my intel Mac this folder doesn’t exist.

Version 3.5 should be there

I’m unclear how to resolve this issue. I’ve used the SDA to install the sound libraries twice.

You’ve posted two screenshots of HSSE with different directory locations. You can simply move the one from the first location to the second, if you know what I mean?

And it is not about the sound libraries but the HSSE plug-in. The plug-in is just a player that can load lots of different libraries.

The first screen shot of HSSE is located in a folder on my Intel Mac, NOT on the M1 machine.
Are you saying I can copy onto a USB drive the version 3.5 that’s on the Intel Mac and then install it into the correct folder on the M1 Mac?

Yes, because it is a universal binary, you can do that.

OK, I’ll try that.

That worked. I guess the question is… why didn’t the installer do the correct thing?

To be honest, I don’t know.

I found where the installer placed the HSSE version 3.5 - it’s in the Applications folder!
Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 3.32.39 AM