Limit lead track notes to existing track's chords

Been watching videos of ‘Chord Track’ and ‘Scale Assistant’, but have not yet found if there’s a way to do it like this:

• You have a VSTi-track where you’ve recorded many complex piano chords on
  • Now you’d like to improvise and record a VSTi lead synth track to go with the above.
    Can Cubase on-the-fly correct your lead notes to fit the chords from your piano track?

Abide this:

In my head it would be easiest if you could just right-click on a MIDI-part (or a track) and have an option which said “Set as MIDI chord master”. And the whole song would conform to those chords.
(A little tick box on each VSTi/MIDI track named ‘Follow chord master’ would determine which tracks should or should not do this)

Hi,

Set the Instrument Track to follow the Chord Track.

Thanks for your suggestion Martin.

Are you referring to is Cubase’s concept of ‘Chord Track’ or my track with chords (as shown in the picture)?

If - today - it’s inevitable to use Cubase’s ‘Chord Track’ to achieve something close to what I’m after, then how do I get the ‘Chord Track’ to copy the complex chords from my already existing VSTi piano track?

Of course there’s already a cumbersome-detour way to do it:

1. Highlight piano part
  2. Select MIDI → Open Score Editor
  3. Mark the first chord
  4. Check what ‘Current Chord Display’ identifies this chord as
  5. Create ‘Chord Track’
  6. Add chord
  7. Set this chord to the type of chord which you got from ‘Current Chord Display’
  8. Set the length of the chord
  9. Start all over from the beginning and repeat the whole process (except point no 5) for the second chord
  10. Start all over from the beginning and repeat the whole process (except point no 5) for the third chord
  11. Start all over from the beginning and repeat the whole process (except point no 5) for the fourth chord
  12. And so on, and so on…

A whole lot of fun if you have like 120 chords in a song. :smiley:
(Exaggerating the amount, but anyways)

1. Open the MIDI Part(s) in the Key Editor
  2. Select all the Notes (ctrl+A)
  3. Use the Create Chord Symbols button

Oh dear lord, you’re an angel Raino!
Thank you so much :slight_smile: