Line start positions — can they be fractional?

Hi — I’m trying to fine-tune line positions (e.g. for indicating a range span between two notes) — I’m wondering if there is a workaround to be able to specify fractional start and end positions, rather than just integers? I would like the start position to be -5 1/4 spaces. (Currently to my eye it doesn’t look like the line starts on the C# notehead centre.)

Would inputting a notehead-attached line not be easier in general? Step 3:

1 Like

oh, i didn’t know about this — thank you!
(I realise also I can move it all around in engrave mode, which I’m still getting to grips with… so this was a bit of a dumb question :slight_smile:

There are no dumb questions! Because now you know about an even better, more robust method that you wouldn’t have if you hadn’t asked :slight_smile: Plus, others who pass through the forum stand a better chance of discovering it, too.

(And a general point: obviously Engrave mode is “always there”, but if you use the properties to get items positioned semantically as close as possible to where you ultimately want them, like you’ve done, then that benefits Dorico’s spacing calculations overall, ie Dorico isn’t still “expecting” them to be where they were originally before the Engrave mode moves)

3 Likes