Line6 helix does not work not on cubasis 3.6 android samsung tab s9 but it works on ipad pro

I tried my line6 helix rack which is also an audio interface with cubasis.

It worked perfectly, plug and play on ipad

When I tried on my new s9 samsung tab on android, the material is recognized in the config, audio input-output devices … but no sounds comes out

On the same android tab, the new ur22c audio interface I just received works perfecly well.

Thanks for your help to solve the helix problem on cubasis android

Best regards

Hi @Marc_Riedo

Thanks for your message and a warm welcome to the Cubasis forum!

Could the problem on Android be related to the following issue introduced by Google with the release of Android 13?

Hope that helps!

Best,
Lars

Hi Lars,

Could well be but I am on android 14 … and everything works fine with ur22c from steinberg. Did steinberg do something to bypass the android midi bug ?

Thanks

Marc

Hi @Marc_Riedo

We’ve been informed by Google that the fix should be included in Android 14. Shared your topic with the team though.

Best,
Lars

Hi @Marc_Riedo

Cubasis for Android make use of Google’s Oboe in regards to supporting external audio devices. Here it might be possible, that Helix is not supported by Google.

Best,
Lars

Apparently this has been a problem since forever…
People were having the same issue in 2017

Hi,

I understand the problem is on google hands and for a long time, and might once be resolved … or not. Thanks steinberg to work on this with google. I will also ask line6 to do so.

Until this gets done, I have 2 workarounds : 1. 1. Record helix on ipad cubasis
2. Record helix going through ur22c on android cubasis

Thanks and best regards

Marc

Hi Lars,

I was too optimistic when saying UR22C works plug and play with Cubasis 3.6 on android. In fact, it works plug play for audio output but not for recording. I spend a whole day trying different cables, configurations, … but no recording. I can hear my guitar, voice in the headphones on the ur22c but nothing seems to go through to cubasis.

The results of all my tests :

• My config : Cubasis 3.6 on android (tablet samsung s9 and samsung a52 phone), both on android 14
  • I was able to record and playback midi with akai mpk mini : midi in out - ok
  • I was able to playback audio projects : audio output through ur22c - ok
  • The UR22C is recognized in the audio settings in Cubasis
  • I was not able to record any audio track (guitar voice, …) : audio recording through ur22c - not ok
  • I also tried as mentionned in the post below to add external power to ur22c but no success

Note, I was able to record-playback audio plug&play on cubasis 3.6 on an ipad with both helix and steinberg ur22c.

Most surprisingly, I was also able to record steinberg ur22c on ntracks daw on android as mentionned on

Ntracks worked with ur22c … but not with helix. Ntracks seems to add an audio driver see attached image.

I have also read all the information and advices from this post Cubasis not working with ur22c on android

I didn’t find the workaround option mentionned on No audio when using USB audio interface with Cubasis on Android 13 : Cubasis 3.5.1 introduced a new option in the setup to disable MIDI I/O. This works around the audio problem, but MIDI hardware can no longer be used.

As a great fan of Steinberg, and more than 20 years Cubase Pro user, I am suprised not to be able to record audio on Cubasis and UR22c both steinberg products.

The rest of the software is just a piece of genius, great sounds and effects, amazing user interface, …

I really hope you can propose and find a solution in order to get this working

thanks for your help and best regards

Marc

Note : As I have Cubase Pro on a PC, and having an iPad, you could say, why bother to try working on android tablet. The reason is iPad is to my wife so my access is limited. I would like to work on android, as I just bought this new samsung s9 tablet to be able to play music on the go and have a DAW everywhere and since Cubasis was available on android …

Hi @Marc_Riedo

What happens if you follow the routing steps shown in our tutorial?

Best,
Lars

Hi Marc. I can’t offer a solution to your problem, but just to share my own experience - I’m an iOS guy and the Mrs is an Android user. Every time she discards a device for a new one, I get the old Android to add to my collection of mobile devices. I have experimented a lot with using different interfaces with Android but have never had any degree of useable success. Both Cubasis 3 and Audio Evolution Mobile work great on Android as a midi arranging notepad. But getting audio in is always a nightmare and when I have been successful in getting audio into an Android device the latency has always made it unusable. I just gave it up as a bad job. The fact that there’s no way to use any kind of hub as well, so that you can charge the device while using it, it’s just a nightmare. I believe Androids to be superior consumer devices but for creatives, iOS is the way. You can’t even host one app in another or get them to communicate on Android. Sorry to be so negative about the device you have but I just think it’s better to be honest.

Hi Lars,

Yes, I followed the routing steps from the tutorial video, very well made video by the way. II plugged my guitar in chanel 2 high z input on ur22c, audio input set to steinberg ur22c, selected input 2 in the routing panel. I can hear the sound on the ur22c headphones but nothing goes through in Cubasis. Nothing on the mixer, nothing recorded.
I can share a video if needed. If I do the same steps on ipad, it works perfectly well.
Could you make this audio recording work on an Android device on cubasis on your side ?

For me it’s a driver problem, steinberg says it’s a google bug and that yamaha writes the drivers … and google does not solve the problem.

Sorry about this situation as the rest : midi recording & playback ok, latency ok, sounds are cool, audio playback ok, …

Best regards

Marc

-------- Message d’origine --------

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I totally agree with you. Unfortunately, I am the PC and android guy and my wife Mac and Ipad. If I have been able to work with Cubase on PC for more than 25 years, I never could make it all work on Cubasis android. And now, I am totally convinced it works all better on Mac and Ipad but also sure the problem could be solved on android, the hardware specs are sufficient, it is a software, driver problem.
For PC the solution was to have performant asio drivers. I guess the solution could be done on android when we have the good drivers. For the moment, Steinberg says drivers are done by Yamaha and the one done by google are buggy.
Waiting for this, I will have to stick to Cubase on PC and negotiate the access to the ipad ;0)
Best regards
Marc

The truth is that Steinberg won’t be able to do anything about this until Android is massively updated. The devices are amazing but the operating system is more than a decade behind iOS when it comes to the functionality that musicians need. We’re a tiny, insignificant part of the user base. I don’t see them rushing to catch up. I can’t afford a Mac so, I’m a pc/iPad/iPhone guy.