Lines behaving badly

Are lines intended to work this way in some way that would help me understand? The video starts with the end result shown… then re-starting after deleting some of the lines.

video

Not sure what you’re asking. The video looks like you’re copying and pasting lines, and occasionally changing the length. What is “behaving badly”?

2 Likes

Tell us what you think is wrong. Not evident from the video.

For starters, you’re trying to copy from rhythmic position to rhythmic position, not note note. Also, when you copy like that, it’s overwriting the lines starting and ending at those various positions, hence the upper lines disappear, because they were anchored at the same positions. This is behaving exactly as I’d expect it to. It’s rightly akin to copying a dynamic to a spot that already has one. You’d expect the new dynamic to supplant the old.

@Romanos - Are lines representative of dynamics? What is their musical function, perhaps that’s what I need to better understand. To me, they’re just annotative… when I copy the ‘1’ on the lower portion of the staff, I don’t expect it to modify the lines above the staff (or vice versa).

Is there a way to copy lines note to note instead of to/from rhythmic position to avoid this?

No, not at all (save, of course, hairpins and cresc… lines). My point is that they are something that is rhythmically attached, so if you then attach a new version of whatever it is at the same rhythmic position, it is logical to conclude that the original will be overwritten.

Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 9.17.21 AM
Take a look at these icons. They change how a line is attached at the beginning and the end.

For clarity: those options only apply to the new lines you’re about to input. There’s no way to retrospectively apply them to existing lines on the page, to the best of my knowledge.

1 Like