Link figured bass to note value

If I need to lengthen or shorten a bass note, the figured bass remains at the rhythmic position. Is there a way to apply value shifts to the figured bass as well?

Stentor, isn’t the figured bass number always placed at the beginning of the note? The beginning does not change when you lengthen or shorten the note…

1 Like

@k_b is of course right.
Can you provide an example of the issue you have?

2 Likes

Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-08 um 00.29.45
Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-08 um 00.37.34

No, I’m lengthening the note, perhaps to fix an error, and want to move the rest, including the figured bass numbers, back as is in insert mode.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-08 um 00.29.45
Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-08 um 00.37.34

Figured bass is positioned on the rhythmic grid, not attached to the note. Watch what happens if you select a figured bass item and move it using alt-left/right.

1 Like

Also, don’t forget that figures can change even when the bass note doesn’t, so this request could really bungle things up. (Admittedly, not so much of an issue when you have a ‘realized’ part.)

1 Like

I see, Stentor - and stand corrected. If you want to have the Figured Bass move with the notes it would have to be input as Lyrics - and have Insert Mode activated. There is a font „Figurato“ which would help you accomplish that:

Still with Dorico’s own tools you could - after having extended a note - select all Figured bass numbers afterwards and just shift them in place (Alt+Right Arrow). After which they will magically get back their correct display:

2 Likes

This is the solution. Thank you!

Many thanks, kb! Wonderful demos! I prefer alt left/right arrow, also in terms of later editing and scratching my forehead: what the hell did I do here?..