List of Applications of Audio Part Editor

Hi,

I just learned about the audio part editor. what are other applications besides the following?

1. When you want to create the stems of all tracks say to send it to mixing engineering
  2. fixing several non-adjacent audio events independently in isolation when you have a large project.
  3. Apply the same edit/changes on the shared audio parts. This doesn’t work in arranger/project window.

it depends from yout creativity :slight_smile:

for more tips check this youtube channel:
[spam removed]

I guess you are just promoting the channel & not answering my questions. Sorry to say that.

An Audio part is really just a mechanism to take multiple Audio Events and lock their timing relationship to each other by grouping them together. After that you can pretty much treat an Audio Event & Part the same in the Project Window.

It is especially useful when you have a bunch of little Audio Events whose individual placement is not aligned to Bars/Beats. If you create an Audio Part out of these you can make it exactly one or more bars long and then move them around with their relative timing locked together. For example if you have a couple of one-shot shaker samples, you can place them over a bar or two to play a pattern. Putting that into a Part lets you use the pattern without needing to keep track of the samples in it. Vocal comping is another common place to use it.

That said most of the time I now use Render In Place rather than Audio Parts to create audio in bar-length chunks.

Well, can’t I do this is the arranger/project window? Why doing it in Audio Part editor?

Interesting. But how, please?

Hmm. I do always use render in place. How can one achieve the same result using Audio parts?

Take a look at the attached animated gif. Say the green Track is some background vocal ouus & ahhhs that have been comped together over the course of 1 bar. Notice that they do not align with the beat and bar lines.

I duplicated the green Track to make the blue one and then I selected all the short Audio Events and made a single Audio Part out of them. When I first made the Part it did not fill the entire Bar. The Part started where the 1st Audio Event begins and stopped where the final Audio Event ends. So with Snap on I dragged the bottoms of the start & end of the Part so it exactly fills the Bar.

Now it is easy to copy the Part and move it while still keeping all the audio in the same Bar/Beat position. Where if I try and move the Audio Events it is difficult to keep them at the correct Bar/Beat position.

This is what Audio Parts are for - taking a bunch of smaller Audio Events and grouping them together so they behave like a single Audio Event.

Audio Event vs Part.gif

Thank you for explaining that. That is it! A very good explanation.

I think we can do the same thing by setting snap-type to “Grid relative” and quantize preset and/or grid type to (1/1) or bar. But your approach is more straight forward and flawless. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Like so many tasks in Cubase there are several ways to achieve similar results. Even in the example I created I probably wouldn’t use Parts in real life. I’d use Render In Place instead, which is newer than Audio Parts. Rendering of course creates a new Audio File where Parts uses existing ones. I’d suspect Audio Parts got more use back in the days when disk space was more limited than it is now.

I frequently convert events to parts for editing since I much prefer the part editor. It has grid lines, envelopes, cut-n-paste, etc.

I suppose multiple events. I don’t think Audio part editor is as powerful as sample editor. Is it?

Can you give a bit more detail on this? Frankly it’s something I never even considered before.

Well. I thought the developers are for the samplers.

I Still think as said above, the Audio part editor is from SX2 and hasn’t seen any recent videos or Greg or others using this at all. But I still think it is very powerful. Basically, if you slide an audio event into hitpoints, you can treat it like Keyeditor and tweak & move stuff around.

One example: if I’m doing some precise editing and I want to see the time grid lines overlaid on the audio, I’ll use the part editor. Also, I prefer to top and tail in an editor window instead of the project window, so I’ll convert to part for that. Also I don’t think there’s a way to view events in a single editor window in lanes like you can do with the part editor, is that right?