"Listen" button in Generic Remote

Ok, if the PLE preset is working on its own, keep it. It surely is NOT the culprit.

Now, it seems that the macro falls flat on its face on the following steps. Try putting some filler between the PLE script and the Listen command. Something painless. (could be “save”, zoom in 2 times then zoom out 2 times, something like that)

Cubase doesn’t wait for each command to finish before firing the next one, so there might be a case that your macro doesn’t work because of that. (commands being fired out of order, going nowhere)

Ah, its asynchronous, whoda thunk! I tossed a Save in there which is probably time consuming and voila it works. Now Im going to look for something with less side-effect.

Thanks!!!

:+1:t3:

Another thing worth exploring would be if it would work (without the extra “save padding”) if you fired the rest of the macro from within the PLE preset’s “macro field”.

In that case you’d assign a keycommand to the PLE. :wink:

Edit: To clear it up a bit, since the above is a bit cryptic. There are 2 ways to combine a PLE script and a macro, depending on complexity.

First way: Within Macro

You can create a Macro that contains commands and PLE scripts in any order.

Macro (assigned to key): Command>Command>PLE>Command>Command>PLE etc

Second way: Within PLE

You can create a PLE that at the end executes a macro. So you have a macro prepared, but not assigned to a key, e.g. Macro “Rec & Listen” = Record arm + Listen (just that)

Then you go make your PLE preset:
PLE (assigned to key): PLE preset (in macro field choose “Rec & Listen”)

Then, if the filter criterion of the PLE preset succeeds (it finds a track as you instructed), it fires the macro too.

What’s the differences you say? I don’t know. I use both until what I’m trying to achieve works and leave it there. (until it breaks, like in your case :rofl:. Then I start over again and try to make it work)

Hum, somehow I’m a little lost here. The current sequence is:

Press button on remote, it calls PLE “Listen Ch01”
PLE “Listen Ch01” calls Macro “Listen Ch01”
Macro “Listen Ch01” calls:
PLE “Select Ch01”
File - Save
Edit - Listen

It doesn’t seem possible to effect Edit - Listen directly in the “Action Target” of PLE “Listen Ch01”.

Could you explain what you mean a little more?

Thanks!

Got here a little late to the party. Great thread @ggmanestraki and @bob_k !

1 Like

That’s a bit loopy!

Macro “Listen Ch01” should not call PLE “Select Ch01” if it has a macro queued. If you remove the macro portion from within the PLE, all’s good! (Or keep it in the PLE, but remove it in the Macro)

Keep an eye on us, we may get stuck and need your help! :grinning:

Yah, ok, I think we’ve got it here…

Press button on remote, it calls PLE “Listen Ch01”
PLE “Listen Ch01” does the Filter Target and Action Target thing to select the track
AND it also calls Macro “Listen Ch01”

Macro “Listen Ch01” now only does Edit - Listen

So now we have a vertical call stack instead of an asynchronous sequence… makes sense.

What I had not appreciated and hope is true, is that we can do Filter/Action and Macro in the same PLE, where Macro only gets called if the Filter is true and it gets called after the Action.

1 Like

Had it working then closed Cubase and opened again with a different project file (one that I saved from before I started messing around this evening - so an almost identical fork) and it was not working again. Turns out (so far) the Sync Project and Mixconsole options were not important. But what is totally important and may have been the problem all along is in the project window these particular tracks are organized in a folder and the folder was collapsed. When it’s opened up things work.

I still like the stack approach as its cleaner with a lower PLE/Macro count… not as “loopy”.

Oh, a good catch! Yes, unfortunately Cubase won’t search within closed folders for the tracks (it would make a good feature request in my opinion.)

Indeed. Well past my bed time, but next session I’ll look for a way to force the folder to be open. For now I put a comment in the folder name to remind people not to close it.